Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: tall chimney next to barn  (Read 3531 times)

easynapper

• View Profile
tall chimney next to barn
« on: January 15, 2015, 07:31:59 PM »

I plan on getting a Ridgewood 6000 soon. I would like to place it under my lean to on my barn. The front of the stove would be under the roof with the back sticking out. I would have plenty of room to keep my wood pile under there and it would be nice for loading the stove on rainy days. But I'm worried about how high a chimney I would need. If I use the "3' higher than the roof at 10' away from the chimney rule", my chimney will have to be 12' to 14' tall. Any suggestions?

MerrellRoofing

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
Re: tall chimney next to barn
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »

Depends on the wind. Mine is only a ft. thru my roof and the peak is 5ft. higher. If the wind blows from the south, the smoke rolls over the peak  and pushes down towards the ground.   Prevailing wind, it works just fine.
Mid-Michigan
Husqvarna-51-261-372xpg-395xp
Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton 25" splitter
Bri-Mar 6x10 Highside dump trailer
Chevy Dually Dumpx2

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »

My chimney is 20 feet, plus the 7foot boiler. So the top is like 28 foot high with the cap.
Just have to support it and watch the door seals for air leaks. I love mine. No smoke at the house. It has a hell of a draft so I have to make sure that the doors are sealed good. No problems at all. Actually I like it that when I open the door, all the smoke just goes out the chimney due to the draft.

I plan on getting a Ridgewood 6000 soon. I would like to place it under my lean to on my barn. The front of the stove would be under the roof with the back sticking out. I would have plenty of room to keep my wood pile under there and it would be nice for loading the stove on rainy days. But I'm worried about how high a chimney I would need. If I use the "3' higher than the roof at 10' away from the chimney rule", my chimney will have to be 12' to 14' tall. Any suggestions?

wissel12

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:01:27 AM »

I have three feet of chimney.  It drafts good, but i'm going to add three more feet this summer. My dad has the same set up you are describing. He has six feet and does good drafting. It's not higher than his building.

Make sure you check with your insurance company about how close you can put the stove to a building.
03 Duramax 72000 Miles
Massey Ferguson 275
WD 45
OC4
Stihl Farm boss 290
Stihl 025
Strasburg, Ohio

Vincent Paul

• Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:50:32 AM »

We have our Ridgewood 7500 under our lean-to.  Plus 20 cords of split wood.  We have two - 3 foot extensions on top of the factory chimney.  The barn is 32 x 40 with a 12' lean-to on each side (8/12 pitch roof).  I love our set up.  It drafts well, wood is always dry and we wired lights on each rafter so it is super well lit in the dark.  My set up is just like what you are talking about.  Back of stove sits to the end of the lean-to and the door is inward.  Works great for us.
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

easynapper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »

Hey Vincent, my barn is 32' x 48' with a 12' lean to on one side. About the same as yours.

The peak of my barn is over 20' tall. I am a little concerned about having a chimney that is shorter than the peak but I don't want a flagpole of a chimney sticking up in the air either. The predominent wind is out of the west here and the stove wood be on the west side of the barn. Should I be concerned if I have a shorter chimney with the wind hitting the roof and blowing it over?

My insurance company says I need to be 40' from any building. I plan on putting it next to the barn but it will be 75' from the house.

Vincent Paul

• Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »

Ours is almost identical.  The chimney to our Ridgewood does not protrude past the peak of the barn.  As a matter of fact, it is probably a good 6' from the peak.  It also sits on the west side of the barn and the wind for us is typically from the NW and W.  We are in southern Indiana and are very happy we put our stove where we did.  Good luck on your install. We did ours by ourselves with the help of SlimJim and the great guys here on the Ridgewood section of this site...............Vincent Paul Meyers
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens