Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eclassic 1450 questions  (Read 5269 times)

Ebwheat

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: Eclassic 1450GK
    • View Profile
Eclassic 1450 questions
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:07:31 AM »

Hi all. I am new to the forum and have questions about my eclassic 1450. This is my second season after an incredibly frustrating first year.  I now am getting reliable heating results but am concerned about the amount of ash and charcoal like material that is accumulating in the bottom chamber and reaction chamber. Basically, I have to clean it every three days and get about 8 gallons of fine ash and charcoal material out of the reaction chamber and surrounding area. The reaction chamber is about 70% to 80% full each time. the remainder of the chamber has an inch or more of material spread out.

Here is additional background info:

I use split oak and hickory that has a measured moisture content of around 11% (measured on the end of the log.  Wood was seasoned in a ventilated shed for over a year.

The stove normally goes into stage 3 and achieves temperatures of 800 to 1100 degrees - typically in the 900s.

I clean exchange tubes biweekly and the buildup is not too bad

The primary air vents air vents are not obstructed

Time between pulses is set to 10 minutes per dealer instruction

I just cleaned and oiled the primary and secondary elbows and solenoids

I load wood twice daily and use tool to keep ashes fluffed up and to keep charge tube path open

I try to let the fire burn down to coals just covering charge tube before reloading. Sometimes that is just not doable due to time constraints and I use the tool to keep ashes and coals fluffed up and add wood to the  several logs already in the firebox.

I live in the Cumberland plateau area of Tennessee so we have moderate winters

My questions are:

Are my reaction chamber temperatures in the normal range for a 1450?

Should I have to clean reaction chamber and surrounding area every three days?

Should so much of the removed material be charcoal like and not fine ash?

Thanks in advance for any help.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Eclassic 1450 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:54:27 AM »

I don't own a 1450 but I have a heatmaster g200. The guys with the 1400 and 1450 will chime in hopefully. I am thinking that your nozzle may be worn out letting large pieces fall through and into the reaction chamber.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »

Having a G400 I’ll get some live coals in the bottom chamber but they always burn up eventually, a 400 has a much larger nozzle than a G200 or your 1450.

I’m not cleaning anywhere near that much ash out though, maybe a couple of gallons tops when I clean twice weekly, but I’m also burning almost 100% dead ash.

I know we have other members that are running the same as you and hopefully they can add to this.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »

The type of wood used makes a huge difference in the amount of ash/ coals. I've been burning mostly apple this winter and it makes 3 to 4 times the amount that beech/cherry makes.

Ebwheat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »

Thanks for the responses.

Hondaracer2004: I checked my reaction chamber charge tube and it has no apparent wear. So I don't think that is the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mlappin: it helps to understand how much ash others are generating. I cleaned today and took a picture of the reaction chamber after cleaning the area surrounding the firebrick. As you can see from the attached photo, it was almost full.

Woodman: we don't have a huge choice of firewood here. Oak and hickory are the mainstays and virtually everyone I know uses them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 05:20:25 PM »

I have a 1450 and clean the reaction chamber every few weeks so far this season.  I have been getting a fair amount of ash this year but I expect it since I have some crappy wood going in at times.  Mostly it's fine ash but sometimes there are a few larger coal pieces.  Every 3 days seems a bit much.  I have noticed that I make a lot more ash when it's not working as hard..... Like on warmer days.  Your temps are consistent with mine. This is my third season so far.  Pull your charge tube and make sure it's clear.  The quantity of ash seem a bit high.  I'm wondering if it's because of the mild temps.  Have you tried not cleaning every 3 days and see what happens? Also, at the front of the reaction chamber I have notice an ash dam that maybe blocks air/ash flow and maybe causes premature build up in the chamber.  I clean my exchanger tubes randomly.....maybe monthly. 
Freeland, MD

Ebwheat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »

Carm: thanks for responding.

My results are consistent whether colder or warmer. We had several days with lows in the low teens and highs in the 20s. Same result as warmer days in the 30s and 40s.

See the attached photo for the amount of ash inside the firebrick in the lower chamber. Area around it was cleaned before photo so I could remove the end brick.

I will check the charge tube but I am achieving 800 to 1100 degree reaction temps. Is that consistent with your results?

Thanks again.

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 09:45:09 PM »

My E2400 has an air charge tube like your 1450 and has the temp sensor in the reaction chamber. 1,000+ degree temps and stage 3 during burn cycles sound pretty normal for oak less than 2 years seasoned. I've heard the 1450 runs a little lower temps in reaction chamber do to location of the sensor farther back in the chamber. Check to be certain the probe is fully extended into the chamber. Mine got pushed in a little one time and I got lower temps. Pulled it out and it returned to its normal higher temps. Having to empty that much ash out of reaction chamber every 3 days seems like a lot. I would check condition and placement of the air charge tube making sure it is in its down and locked position. If sitting high it could be a problem.

Carm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 09:24:28 AM »

My temps are consistent with you generally.  My ash is finer though.
Freeland, MD

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »

What water temperature are you running your  boiler at if on the low side
I would try bring the temp up
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

Ebwheat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:46:22 AM »

Big Wood:  my set point is 185 and we have just changed the burn duration from 175/185 to 170/185. The rationale is to give a longer and hotter burn. I will know if that makes a difference at my next cleaning.

Thanks

Carm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 08:08:09 AM »

I'm running 180/190
Freeland, MD

jnblk

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:06:38 PM »

I noticed the same issue this season (this is my 4th season), I burn oak, maple, ash, apple and American cherry, all burn hot if dry. I find that oak will produce 1400 degf reaction chamber temp and burn 1/4 cord to a fine dust that won't fill a 5 gal bucket.

I found that my water temperature sensor was reading 20 deg less than what the boiler reads. I checked the wiring from the controller to the sensor and all connections in between which all checked ok. After replacing the sensor the temp difference reduced to 15 deg.

I was running the boiler set point @ 185 with a 10 deg difference, with a twenty deg difference to actual water temperature I was barely making thermostatic valve temp at the low end.

I increased my set point to 195 ( max) and now I find that the boiler is burning the coals to dust, for the most part but I still have an issue with the temp sensor which I will take up with my dealer.

I would suggest checking the temperature of your water leaving the boiler and compare to what the boiler reads. Let me know if you have questions, I'm curious to learn what you find.

jnblk

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »

After looking at your pictures of the reaction chamber, I'm assuming you removed the fire block that should be at the end of the reaction chamber to take a picture?

Ebwheat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 06:56:53 PM »

Jnblk: yes, the end firebrick was removed for the photo and subsequent ash removal.
Pages: [1] 2