Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water Softener ?  (Read 6584 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Water Softener ?
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »

We are looking to put in a water softener.  We are trying to decide what to do with the drain from it.  One guy says we can run it through our septic.  Another guy (and our family) say no way-it will corode our septic system.  The other idea is to run it out our down spout drain.  One guy says that will kill all the vegetation and trees.  Another guy says it won't hurt the plants/trees.  One guy says run it into our pond-it won't hurt the fish.  I can't imagine it would corrode our septic system and kill our trees but won't hur the fish.  Do any of you have experience with water softeners that can share advice?

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: Water Softener ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »

Well let me say this...I have 2 water filtration systems...One for iron/sulfur..The other arsenic..The arsenic filter uses the salt. Iron/sulfur filter doesn't...Both are dumped in my septic..Never had a problem with septic and its been 9 yrs..Just had septic tank pump 3 months ago..Tank looks great..Salt actually helps break down the sludge..Ive thought about during the summer months dumping the water in a drain instead of my septic...Haven't done it..lol..Far as your family and the other guy saying it will corrode your system..Sewer is already corrosive..Bleach, toilet bowl cleaner, any other cleaner etc..Any other questions pm me!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Firechaser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »

I have a salt softener and septic. The guy who put in my septic said it was just extra liquid in my septic and leach field so not to run it through the septic. So mine drains into my downspout lines. It does kill the grass for 6- 8 feet but only 8 to 10 inches wide. Not a big deal for me.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »

I wasnt aware folks still used those....  15-20 years ago in ky we all had them, but then they put in public water.  I always assumed we were the last to get anything lol

What about the electronic systems tho!?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »

The one's opposed to running out to the septic claim that it will  kill the bacteria needed to make the septic work correctly.  With an actual sewer you don't have that problem. 

Also,  they say we can run it into our pond and it wouldn't hurt the fish.  I didn't understand how it can kill grass/trees etc and corrode a septic system but it would hurt our fish ???  Dad explained it to me saying there wasn't enough salt in the water to hurt the 1.5 ac pond I've got.  IDK.  What do you guys think I should do.

1. Septic
2. Down Spout
3.  Pond

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »

The one's opposed to running out to the septic claim that it will  kill the bacteria needed to make the septic work correctly.  With an actual sewer you don't have that problem. 

Also,  they say we can run it into our pond and it wouldn't hurt the fish.  I didn't understand how it can kill grass/trees etc and corrode a septic system but it would hurt our fish ???  Dad explained it to me saying there wasn't enough salt in the water to hurt the 1.5 ac pond I've got.  IDK.  What do you guys think I should do.

1. Septic
2. Down Spout
3.  Pond
..What are you filtering out anyways?..I guess that would determine where to dump it..I dunno about dumping it in a pond..Septic winter then summer months down spout..They guy saying the salt will kill the bacteria..Whats the difference of dumping bleach products etc.. that kill bacteria..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »

I wasnt aware folks still used those....  15-20 years ago in ky we all had them, but then they put in public water.  I always assumed we were the last to get anything lol

What about the electronic systems tho!?
They put in public water for rural houses? Around here it doesn't go much out of the town. People use softeners around here even when they have city water.

From what I have seen, the electronic ones don't do anything.
Every softener I have ever seen just runs it down the drain.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »

I run mine on the ground, I haven't noticed any dead grass but I haven't looked. It dumps behind my pump house (the pump in in the well so not sure why I call it that) and it sits at the edge of the woods so it is no big deal. The salt water will kill plants but I would put it there before I would put it in the pond.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 09:25:17 AM »

If it is a fairly new septic system I can't think of anything that would corrode. It's plastic pipe and concrete. That said if you really want to get into it you could do what I chose to do with my garage floor drains. I dug a dry well out back to keep the extra water out of my septic and the road salts and oils out of the river.
    One thing to keep in mind with the softener discharge, if you connect it to a sewer drain it should be installed with an air gap. You can potentially allow sewer bacteria to be introduced to your potable water if there is a direct link. I would venture a guess that 97% of them are directly connected and few have had problems but it is possible.

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »

I have the same situation, and I talked to the person who designed my septic system.

Ideally no salt or other chemicals in the septic system, but that is of course not practical.

So it depends on concentration, a small amount of chlorine in a lot of water will not do any harm, a small amount of salt will not either.

I have a water softener to install and will dump it into an old drain pipe. The chlorine etc I just use as little as I can, when I shock the well I drain it outside and have not had a problem with grass burn.