Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: owb inside garage...? suggestions  (Read 7265 times)

merrellroofing

owb inside garage...? suggestions
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:49 PM »

I am building an addition to attach my house to a 30x60 concrete block garage. I have a 10x15 room I was thinking about putting a boiler in.(stay out of the weather)  I know I will have to chimney thru the roof and the insurance guy said it was ok.  I thought it might be more efficient being in a controlled environment since I will also heat the garage.  Not sure if it would be better to trench thru existing concrete in garage or run lines overhead or thru the walls some 40ft. to the basement.  Plan on heating 2500sq.ft. house, garage and dhw.  I would like to buy something fairly local cause I like to keep my money close to home.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: owb inside garage...? suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »

Not sure where local is for you, Welcome to the forum
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

oldchenowth

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

Sounds like a great idea.  I would run the insulated pex to the house right thru the garage.  No sense in the expense of chipping crete and warming the ground.  Keep the heat in your controlled environment.  As the other dude said, not sure where local is, but I bet you can get someone within 75- 100 miles to work with you on a burner.  I am regretting putting mine inside, all of this wind lately has caused me to go thru more wood than I am used to.  Mega cold doesn't seem as bad as high winds.  Account for ventilation when loading.  Mine blows smoke at me all the time I have the door open, big time!  Good thing my wife likes the smell of smoke.   Good luck with your search and welcome to the site

merrellroofing

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »

Sorry, Local for me is mid michigan

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »

How high is the ceiling in the room? You might need to put in a pretty good venting system to keep it clear when you are filling it if you get a very big boiler.
Like said keep the pipes above ground. If they are in a heated area then you don't even need to buy insulated pex. If they are putting off too much heat you can just use cheap pipe insulation on them.
Are you looking at a regular type or gasification boiler? If gasification type, I believe Nature's Comfort will sell their without the outer shell which should cut a decent amount off the price. I have never sold one that way but saw another dealer advertising them. I believe Guru (forum name) here is a Nature's Comfort dealer in MI. You might want to check with him.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »

not sure of the brand,but a friend has his face of furnace cut into workshop . his has a smoke by-pass to keep smoke from rolling back out.

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »

you will want to be sure you have a real strong fan mounted above the door, every OWB I have seen or installed lets out smoke when the door is open, enough to be a problem, i am planning on doing something similar but i am building a hood over the boiler with a strong fan to draw all the smoke out and up away from me.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »

If you're putting it inside, I'd buy something that wasn't originally designed for outdoor use.  That will strip off most of the exterior shell and insulation, making it much smaller in physical size and also cheaper. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »

I know that Aqua-Therm makes unsheltered boilers..Made to be put in a garage or a workshop etc..They are cheaper than a fully dressed boiler..I do know someone that has a boiler in his garage..The stack goes right through the roof. Neat setup..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

merrellroofing

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »

I think I have decided to go with an owb outside.  Just outside that room building a lean-to for wood storage with east end open to boiler.  I am going to get a bigger unit so i can also heat my 30x40 workshop as well.
  I talked to some local dealers for:

Natures Comfort 325-$7800
Hawken 10,000-$6700
CB 6048-$8030

I like the three pump option on the central boiler

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

Where do you live.  I am a Nature's Comfort dealer for Tuscola, Huron and Sanilac counties.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

merrellroofing

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 11:37:12 AM »

I am in between Owosso and Lansing

Pyro-Maniac 321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »

You might want to check out woodmaster boiler's. I have one, and love it! I had my installed for $8,000.00. :thumbup:

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 05:34:43 AM »

If you you like a quote on a Nature's Comfort boiler, you can email me at mikesadvancedheating@gmail.com or call me 1-989-551-7739.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/