Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cleaning Heat Exchanger  (Read 1119 times)

Radio Tech1964

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
  • Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
Cleaning Heat Exchanger
« on: September 12, 2022, 06:48:12 PM »

I'm wondering would it be safe to use a light coil cleaner similar to what I use for evaporator coils in AC servicing?  I have kept the filters clean since I reinstalled here where I'm located now. I had it located in the breech of the return duct and it was fairly dusty at out other location. The actual coil is not really seriously dirty but I've never cleaned it and I'm getting started servicing things for winter as I have time. Air handler today and boiler maybe next week if it's not monsoonal again!  I have used this Viper evaporator cleaner on a lot of occasions with no trouble and just wondering if anyone else had tried this approach. My wife considers me OCD but I just considering it doing the whole job,no short cuts LOL  Even on my own system LOL

Just to clarify this is for the outside of the exchanger,white vinegar makes a great back flush agent :)

Thanks Guys

WT
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 02:13:05 AM by Radio Tech1964 »

Radio Tech1964

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
  • Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
Re: Cleaning Heat Exchanger
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 05:29:31 PM »

I can report back that this works excellent!  I couldn't really see where mine was that dirty but after foaming it up and letting it set there was all kinds of brown foam coming from it. It did increase my air supply a little and that was greatly appreciated. Maybe not part of the yearly start up service but ever couple of years it seems it would make a difference.

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Heat Exchanger
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 06:44:15 AM »

I cleaned mine last year, and it was really dirty!!!  It was used to heat the garage, and I took it outside and sprayed through the exterior with water, and not much came off.  I do a good bit of welding/fabrication/painting in the garage, so it wasn't going to come off easy.  I sprayed mine with Purple Power, let it set for about 5 minutes, and rinsed it liberally with warm water.  I know the Purple Power can be corrosive to aluminum, but I did my best to get it rinsed clear.  I'm not sure the efficiency improved, but it sure looked better.  I also installed a filter frame when I put it all back together.    No issues so far.

While I had it apart, I did flush the inside as well.  I filled it with white vinegar and let it soak, then a good rinse.   Much improved!
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV