Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Titanium steel  (Read 6647 times)

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Titanium steel
« on: January 23, 2022, 03:48:00 PM »

There's a lot of talk about the benefits of stainless in boilers and I agree to 409 the way to go.

Where does it come from?  Titanium is a part of the formulation of 409. Notice that China is the main producer of titanium.
 China produces 230 times the titanium as the US. Canada 8 times more.   Where does our ' Made in US' stainless come from?

Mill in Kentucky boasts of 90% recycled, mill in Alabama mill 80% recycled. They 'make' 60% of all stainless in US and both are foreign owned. All a mill has to do is roll and form it and can label it 'Made in USA' regardless of origin.
 Could not find any maker of virgin stock in US.

Question: Is 'Made in USA' a quality thing?
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Titanium steel
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 08:10:51 AM »

There are legal definitions as to what "Made in USA" means.  I doubt if every raw material needs to be domestically sourced.  For stainless steels, many of the elements are in trace amounts, often less than 1/2 of one percent.

But I think the Made in USA sticker does generally suggest more attention to quality but that is not guaranteed.  I personally have a pecking order of countries which I will support, and China is pretty much at the bottom of the list.  Not just because of its generally inferior produced products, but also because it is a communist, police state, dictatorship that with a billion people to support will likely have global ambitions as it becomes more powerful.   

I really wish people would look at the label and see where the product is made before heading to the cash register.  And yes my wife, I am looking at you.
Muskoka, Ont

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:04:02 AM »

I'm not sure you'll influence international politics by trying to boycott, but it's like praying...if you think it helps, feel free as you're not really hurting anyone. The idea you will eliminate or reduce china made products from you consumer diet seems like folly. Real influence, unfortunately, is a diplomatic dance with no easy solutions.
Central MD

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:46:12 AM »

No worries - I am not expecting President Xi to call me up and order me to back off. 

It is an individual choice. The only other person who I wish would follow suit is my wife.  As far as being unable to reduce China from my consumption list - I personable have found that it is fairly easy.  It just takes a tiny bit of effort. A very quick example - Recently my table saw motor fried.  A new one (from china of course) was $300.  To rebuild the old motor was $300.  For me it was a no brainer - The rebuild produced, essentially, a new motor and employed a local shop with a local employee.

Muskoka, Ont

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 03:29:10 PM »

I have some 409 lab reports from HeatMaster, say melted and made in the USA, doesn’t say anything about where the ingredients originated from.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana