Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 7300 First season  (Read 5694 times)

WMSmoke

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
7300 First season
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »

I would first like to say this site Rocks. I picked up a CR 7300 last year finally got it burning last week. Anybody on here own one of these ? I would like to know what to expect this winter. Thank You

Ridgekid

Re: 7300 First season
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »

Welcome to the site!

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

Welcome to the site WMsmoke, if anyone has one of these I am sure they will chime in.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »

Welcome to sight. Enjoy your new stove sure beats paying utility companys. Like has already been said if someone has one they will chime in.

tawilson1152

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »

I celebrated New Years Day by firing my brand new 7300. No help on what to expect, sorry.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »

Welcome to the site tawilson1152
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

WMSmoke

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 07:24:04 AM »

tawilson1152 what are you burning, Hardwood / pine. I am burning a combination of red pine and oak. The longest burn I have had is about 10.5 hours. I'm running 180 with a 10 degree spread.
I am heating 3400sqft. If I include the basement 6800sqft. I also have it running to my 3300sqft garage. I think I am trying to get more out of this boiler than it is capable of. It claims 240,000 Btu.

So far I am still trying different things to heat up faster and get longer burns.
Great to see someone else has one of these.

BTW I am located in Western Michigan and right now it is 19 degrees.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:23 AM »

Thats a huge load on a stove of that size, I'd have that stove on like a 3k-4500 sq ft home
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

WMSmoke

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »

Yeah I know I wanted the size larger but I got a great deal on this one "brand new" that I could not pass it up. I am planning on doing some heavy duty insulating of the house and garage in the spring. So far the stove has performed well for its size. I have used about 2 cord of mostly pine since Thanksgiving day. So I'm happy with it so far.

Thanks for your input Scott.

tawilson1152

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »

My home is about 2400 sq. ft. Now that I have the wood boiler going I also am heating the basement space, which adds another 1300 sq. ft., with half of it crawlspace. I'm just getting used to the thing and playing around with fan speed and different loads. I got 12 hours out of a load last night and it was below zero here. It took me a week or so to have enough faith in it to start stocking it with the unsplit rounds that the manual says to use. I do now and next spring there will be a lot less splitting. When I was getting ready for this winter I wasn't sure what to expect so I have about have my wood split up that didn't have to be.
Scott, are you using unsplit rounds? I found it made a difference in burn times, ash buildup and wood consumption. I'd also get some chunks of hardwood in the mix if you can, especially for the overnight burns.
I've also turned the fan speed down. I'm working in my office at home now with a window looking at the boiler so I've been able to watch a lot of cycles. I had the fans cranked thinking the sooner I get into gasification mode the better. But it seems to kick in just as quick at a lower speed and I hope I'm not blowing as much heat out the stack.
I am very happy with mine. Wood usage has been high but I was just happy to be getting heat out of it and wasn't worried about it at first.

tawilson1152

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »

I tried putting the fan speed even lower and didn't like it, a little bit of smoke in the exhaust. I've got  a few of the fan speed controllers sitting around and I'm wondering about putting the two fans on different ones. Maybe a little faster on the lower one and keep the upper one slower?  Or vice versa? This is my learning curve winter.
Scott, I'm keeping your thread alive for you.

WMSmoke

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »

tawilson1152 I started this and I am the one that owns the 7300. I have played with the fan speed a lot and have found as it gets colder I need to lower the fan speed. To much speed and it actually cools the firebox to much. I usually run just above the low indicator. I have been using wood that has not been properly dried so the performance is not what it should be. I will be installing some temp probes this spring to better monitor my boiler and the temp entering both of my buildings.

So far with the temp in the teens and single digits it keeps the house warm, much better than my propane furnace. I have not hooked up the hot water yet I am still thinking about that.
Thanks for your input.

Jeff

tawilson1152

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

Whoops, sorry Jeff. I come confused sometimes.

Tom