Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What percentage to split?  (Read 6868 times)

prsmith

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
What percentage to split?
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »

I've been reading here feverishly, but I feel like  I've been dropped into an ocean of info with no lifeboat! I am really grateful to have this resource.

Might you guys be kind enough to relieve some of my ignorance.

Does all of the wood I burn in my OWB need to be split or should I leave some fairly large pieces to slow the rate of burn?  I am happy to split it all if necessary, but I'm not interested in manufacturing un-needed work for myself.

Any guidance on percentages of split to non-split or the sizes of pieces that are kosher would be greatly appreciated!
prs

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
Re: What percentage to split?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »

What kind of unit do you have? I have a newer gaser (EPA approved) unit and I think most of use with these might be splitting the wood more, I am only in my second year but in my case it seems like loading is a art form not too many large chucks not too many small. I split into chunks I can pickup without  a lot of effert
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

prsmith

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »

I have a Midwest Outdoor Wood Furnace (http://www.mwoutdoorwoodfurnace.com/750.html ) It is not a gasser. 48" deep firebox. 290 Gallon water capacity.

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:45:51 AM »

I would split anything over 12" one time just because it burns better and is easier for me to handle

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:31:28 AM »

Because I have a gasser (EPA phase II compliant) I too split everything with exception of the smallish stuff.  I have a healthy mix, as large as 10" to smallest around 3".  This being my second year with it, I learned last heating season that it likes the mix of smaller and larger everytime I service it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »

Ultimately it is going to be trial and error for your exact circumstances. If you aren't drawing a lot of heat bigger pieces could be more efficient and get you longer burn times but if you need faster recovery times you will need more surface area and smaller pieces. I have a central boiler 5036 with a slightly smaller firebox. If I can get the wood through the door I don't split it. This is because of the small load I am pulling from it. The larger pieces do not burn as fast so the damper stays open longer meaning less time smoldering. I have on occasion stuffed a 20" round in mine. 

prsmith

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »

Thanks, guys! That's helpful.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »

I cant say there is a percentage of wood to split..Its really up to you!..Your the person handling/ lifting  the wood!..So i guess there is really no right or wrong way of doing it..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

prsmith

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »

MattyNH, I wasn't asking as much from a preferential standpoint as I was from a functional one. In other words, in the experience of those here, am I going to be up a creek without a paddle if I have 12 cords of 10" rounds to burn and nothing split, or does an OWB burn 18" rounds all day without breaking a sweat. I am happy to do the work of splitting if necessary, but I don't want to spend all fall making matchsticks in the backyard if I would have been fine splitting one cord of out of the 12. I am a TOTAL novice, so I was just seeking some wisdom from the vets.

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »

prsmith - You can't go wrong with this - Use a variety of all sizes.  From a piece 6 inches to a piece as big as you can put in your OWF. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »

MattyNH, I wasn't asking as much from a preferential standpoint as I was from a functional one. In other words, in the experience of those here, am I going to be up a creek without a paddle if I have 12 cords of 10" rounds to burn and nothing split, or does an OWB burn 18" rounds all day without breaking a sweat. I am happy to do the work of splitting if necessary, but I don't want to spend all fall making matchsticks in the backyard if I would have been fine splitting one cord of out of the 12. I am a TOTAL novice, so I was just seeking some wisdom from the vets.
  Theres no right or wrong way on doing..Whatever you throw in the boiler its gonna burn it! Your making it harder than you think it is..It really boils down to what size wood you want to handle..If you cut a grapple load and never split it..Hey more power to you. You got to lift the wood!...Like jerkash said use a variety of sizes.. Mix it.. Make it easy for yourself... I dont know anyone that splits wood to matchsticks by the way...
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »

You definitely want to have some dry split wood on hand for those times where your fire gets low (get stuck at work late, whatever)...so you can get a rip roaring fire going again with less recovery time.  If you have a lot of coals....and plenty of fire, throw the big stuff in and enjoy the longer burn cycles.  It's very trial and error. I use splits to fill in the gaps around the big stuff as well....to fill the firebox completely, when it gets really cold....you will learn. GL
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »

I don't think you can go wrong here. 7 cords, 1.5 split,1.5small rounds (under5'' ) 1.5 large rounds 1.5 pine or softwood 1.0scrap wood or construction wood,pin slab. The 7cord is just an example if you use more
Divy it up. Colder nites you'll probably load with larger wood ,warmer days less or lighter load

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »

I used to try to put as big of a chunk in the boiler as I could.  Until my back started hurting.  I don't know about anyone else but at some point when I put the wood in the door I get kind of out of position.

Also with great big chunks you will smash a finger against the frame, I find that somewhat unenjoyable, especially since the likelihood of it happening goes up as the temperature goes down....
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:30:32 AM »

Hd5,
I know what you mean...I average one black fingernail per season from loading my stove. Thought I was doing good last season...but got one at the end of March.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist
Pages: [1] 2