Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heating a house, DHW and attached garage from one loop  (Read 5283 times)

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
Heating a house, DHW and attached garage from one loop
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:21:46 PM »

Hello all,  Does anyone have a single loop system supplying multiple locations?  I would like to heat my house, DHW and attached garage from one circulation loop.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Heating a house, DHW and attached garage from one loop
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:29:13 PM »

i use a header system and run off that in my home to a rad in my furnace plenum, a rad inside my old fireplace, my DHW exchanger and to my floor heat ( i do use a small pump to keep the floor heat circulating..that is the way it was designed)

i also have a rad in my games room in the basemnt that i use only now and then that is heated by my return water from my DHW exchanger
this is all on the main pump (taco 011)

however, i made another exchanger behind my OWB and i use a 50 foot coil of copper inside a 2 foot high12 inch pipe to heat my garage...my OWB water return line from the house feeds this exchanger before re-entering the OWB and i have a pump in my garage that pumps antifree/water mix through the rad in the garage...this way i keep this part of my system closed from the reast and only have about 10 gallons in the system so no need for too much anti freeze..( a small expansion tank is needed for this part of the system) also if i am not going to be in the garage for a few days i just shut the pump off and don't use it (saves on wood)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:34:15 AM »

WillieG,  Thanks for the info.  I like your idea of the header to devide the loops in the house, it seems the header will give more control.  Did you use ball vavles for controlling each loop?

I am considering using a fridgerator for my garage to contain the blower and rad.  The fridge will have a plenum in the bottom for the cold air return and a plenum in the top for hot air.  The top plenum will have a flap on it so when the blower is not on there will be little heat loss.  The fridge should work great to contain the heat during non operational periods.  Have you heard of this idea?
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »

WillieG,  Thanks for the info.  I like your idea of the header to devide the loops in the house, it seems the header will give more control.  Did you use ball vavles for controlling each loop?
Yes ..ball valves on both feed and return..you can control flow or take any item "off line" without interupting service to any other part of the system

I am considering using a fridgerator for my garage to contain the blower and rad.  The fridge will have a plenum in the bottom for the cold air return and a plenum in the top for hot air.  The top plenum will have a flap on it so when the blower is not on there will be little heat loss.  The fridge should work great to contain the heat during non operational periods.  Have you heard of this idea?

I have never seen what you propose but it sounds like it should work quite well.

Good luck with your project..keep the forum up to date with it...we all like to read and learn (even though many sit quietly)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada