Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chimney burn out  (Read 5796 times)

mln

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Chimney burn out
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:29:46 AM »

I installed a NC175 last Oct.
I've noticed the chimney is burning out at the bottom.
I suspect it's the torch like flame you get at the first air port that's doing this
I've emailed the company with no reply.
I've seen that some people here have discussed blocking the first air port with a pipe.
Was that recommended to prevent this issue?

I suppose it doesn't make much difference since the back side of the chimney is up a foot off the bottom but it doesn't look very good.

I'm going to try the pipe trick. 

Other than this the unit has been working very well.  I live in central VT and have used about 8 chord this year.  2 of that was SW.

mikenc

• View Profile
Re: Chimney burn out
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:13:48 AM »

My dealer said some owners had installed 11/2 pipe in grate. He didn't say this was a factory recomendation. Not sure about that. I installed this at startup in February. I think the purpose is to direct more air to front and middle of boiler. He said some had installed pipe in front slot. I also installed 5/8 rod in between other slots to keep large chunks from falling through grate. Have not had any problem with chimney burn out.

I have been playing around with mine some to see what gives the most even burn. First of this week I moved pipe to front slot and slid grate toward rear leaving 1/2 inch slot at rear of grate. I was having a lot of creosote build up in back of OWB the other way. This seems to have helped with that.

Eight Cords of wood. Is that the 128sq ft. per cord?  Been trying to figure out how much wood I will need for next winter.

mln

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »

8 chords is a pretty rough estimate since I don't stack very neat and it's all round wood.  I'm not into splitting.
But yes I'm basing it on 128 cubic feet.   Mostly Elm with some ash, maple and about 2 chords of pine and red cedar.

I just got an email from the company saying their looking into my problem and will get back to me.
The person needed was not in the office but out delivering stoves.

I have not had a problem with getting an even burn but I agree the distance between the bricks is too large. 
I find a lot of big chunks in with the ashes. 

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »

I would be interested in what factory says about burn out. Maybe I can alleviate problem before it happens.

I tried 1/2 pipe and 3/8 pipe  between firebrick. Both seemed a little to big the 1/2 rod seems to work better for me. It does limit size of chunks falling into ash pan and dosen't seem to stop up slots like pipe did.

I  burn mostly red and white oak. I do have to split some since they are to large to handle and fit through door. Cut red oak today about 24 inch dia. Have cut some tulip poplar this winter since it was free.  Your winters are a lot colder than ours in the south. I am hoping to get by with 3 to 4 cord this winter. Burned around 11/2 to 2 cords in wood stove.

Have you burned any coal? Some one mentioned burning coal mixed with wood to improve burn times in another post. May try that this winter. Haven't checked price of coal may change my mind if to expensive.

What temp do you operate boiler at? I have had mine set at 150-155 since start up. Keeps house warm and heats DHW.

From post I have read OWB'S  burn a lot more wood than in house wood stoves.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:42:24 AM by mikenc »

mln

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 08:49:40 AM »

I have used some coal which I got for free from a home which no longer used it. 
It works well if you start with a good bed coals to start.

I called my dealer about the 150 limit on the thermostat because up here are HW heating systems are designed to run at 180.  He called the company and they told him to cut the nib off the thermostat and turn it past the stop.  I tuned it to come on at 150 and go off at 170.  That's worked fine.

Since temps have moderated to 20's at night and upper 30's to 40's during the day I use about 1/2 the wood I used in mid winter when temps were below zero at night and teens during the day.   

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »

I have done all of the above .. burnt coal and wood .. and tried pipes of all diff sizes in all the different places.  My stove is a 2007 that I had to add 1 ft to the chimmney inside so it came close to the floor like the 2008 models.  I noticed mine is kind of mushed from hitting the thing when loading but I have not notices any burn out .. I will have to check that out!

steve
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

mln

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:24:01 AM »

I got an email from NC saying what I'm seeing is normal and the next design will move the bottom of the chimney up 6 inches from the bottom of the fire box.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

Thanks for letting us know what they said.