Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fire Grate NCB175  (Read 6392 times)

mikenc

• View Profile
Fire Grate NCB175
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »

Just thought i would check and see if anyone has come up with a better grate design for coal and wood. I bought the coal grate from NCB, it didn't work as good as original. I did make some changes to original. Any info will be appreciated.  :bash:

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Grate NCB175
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:10:40 AM »

I have a 2007 model .. not sure what you meancoal grates .. I did not know there were other grates.  I know I have played with putting diff size rods in the blower spaces betwen the firebrick and also some difgf size angle iron.  Right now I have 1/2 angle iron in the form and back spaces and 1/4 rod in the others.  This way I do not big ash chunks .. just a fine as.

steve
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »

Yes they do sell a coal grate made out of 1'' round stock. Rather expensive though. Didn't work that well for me. Will build something before heating season this year. I made some changes to the original grate last season to. Like you I put rod between fire brick to keep the big chunks from falling down.

j845125

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »

I'm not a big fan of Natures Comfort, I'll state that right up front. It burns wood great, but the coal burning side lacks decent shaker grates. After I harassed NC for a year, they sent me some new grate designed by there "engineers" in Alaska. They must be smoking some wicked stuff in Alaska, because the grates were 16 inches(!!!!) to short for the 250 I have and 3/4 inch to wide to fit down in. I was supposed to take off three bolts off the ashpan door(fun when it's 10 below), fish a handle back to connnect to 2 square knobs to turn 2 triangle shaped rollers. In principle, it would have worked good if they'd of actually fit. I called my dealer, who was hoping these grates would allow me to burn coal. He came to see them and immediatley started swearing a blue streak, as I did when I saw them. He than went back to his shop and built his own grates that are actual shaker grates that fit the stove(Grates from another stove manufacturer modified to fit NC's). He also built a hinged ash pan door so I don't have that screwy, burn your hand, too short, ash pan door, that leaks air unless you play with it. It is slick as sh##. They are actual grates that drop the ashes out the bottom, as a coal stove should be. He aslo did some other modififcations. I don't want to explain to much of how they work, because he is starting littigation against NC. Thank God I have a good dealer.

As my dealer says and I agree, "they build a good stove, they just didn't finish it". Check out Mahoning or Freedom if you want to burn coal.