Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Extending Chimney NCB Boiler  (Read 7749 times)

mikenc

• View Profile
Extending Chimney NCB Boiler
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has extended chimney on NCB Boiler and what they used.
Plain stove pipe or insulated? Did it make difference in performance?

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
Re: Extending Chimney NCB Boiler
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »

Nature's Comfort does offer a pipe extention and cap.  Whenever possible you should use a insulated pipe to prevent creosote buid up.

Regards

Mike

Natures Comfort Territory Manager
www.mikesadvancedheating.com

Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:41 PM »

Fist things first .. welcome Mike .... great to have a NC rep looking at the board!  Love to have imput from the mft here!

anyway .. I too am looking at extending my chimney.  I talked to a dealer in Albany area that has customer that extened by 10-15 ft using well casing .. had to use guide wires to stablize it.  I guess I don't understand the need for insulated pipe and the creosot worry.  The reason I went with the OWB was so I could burn all the pine I can not burn in my inside fireplace and not worry.  So what if it get some build up .. that is why it's outside and not in my house .. I got a lot of build up inside the unit this winter .. I scrap it and let a hot fire burn it off.  If a insulated chimmney was important why is it built with the solid chimmney?  I have a three ft piece of well casing that I used to extend my inside the firebox (I have a 2007 model and Dave at NC told to to do this to make it like the 2008 models) .. I know that is the exact pipe used for the chimney.. but I am looking for a longer (6ft piece ) of 6" schedual 40 pipe to use on the outside.  I will be interested on others ideas.

PS still looking for a raincap / spark arrester that is not going to cost me $100 .. any ideas?

steve
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »

gents..i have a home made OWB (i keep in the woodshed) and i used 8" schedule 40 pipe for a chimney. it is about 12 feet in total and sticks about 4 feet out the roof of the shed and i insulated the thing right up until the last foot or so that sticks out in the open...i was always told a warm chimney draws better...i guess it stays cleaner also but who cares about that part...leave the door open a few minutes when she is burning good and you will have a clean chimney (as long as you dont worry about fires close by)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »

Thank you for the nice welcome.

I spoke to technical support at Nature's comfort.  It is OK to extend the chimney with schedule 40 pipe for a short distance because there won't be much heat loss, but if you plan to extend let say 10 to 20ft then it is recommended to insulate.  When the chimney cools the exhaust, croesote will form causing potential chimney fires.  I'm not the one to make the judgement call on wether or not a spark will catch and start a fire in your yard, woods or near by building.

For the chimney cap, if you are extending the chimney, I would think any stainless steel cap with a spark arrestor should work well.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:31 AM »

headed to the junk yard this weekend ... I was going to add 6ft or so .. I was going to use more of the " well casing" ut my buddy said shedual 40 should work fine and be lighter... still trying to find a spark arrester cheaper then $ 70 .. if anyone sees one please let me know!
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 11:19:51 AM »

Just wanted to post an update.  I put on an additional 3 ft on my boiler ... really to just take the smoke a little higher and to avoid the flames kicking out the thing.  I closed down my fan gap (my older model does not have the turnbuckel adjustment) so I have to make some changes.  I also got a chimmney cap from NC... looked all over the web and they were comparable in price and worked with me on a deal for shipping since I needed rust inhibitor also!!
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175