Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So how is everybody doing with this cold spell?  (Read 8216 times)

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
So how is everybody doing with this cold spell?
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »

We finally get a little cold spell to put our systems to the test. So how is everyone doing? After being in the single digits all day we went a little below zero last night in addition to a 15mph breeze. At last check we are up to +2*. I had to pull out of the pine I had been burning and switch over to some good stuff, oak, cherry. Filled her up at 5:30pm yesterday and today at 9:00am had a nice coal bed to start over with. House was 74 when I went to bed last night, set back to 71 at midnight then back up to 74 at 6am. That along with 1 bath and 2 hot showers, and keeping my garage 55* I have to say I am pretty happy. Hope everyone else is having similar results! :thumbup:   

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
Re: So how is everybody doing with this cold spell?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:49:08 AM »

In Northern MN we had -25 last night and will probably hit a high of -7 today.   This is my first year burning wood and am running a Hardy H5.  Put a few extra logs in but other than that I have not noticed a big jump in usage.  Days like this I am very pleased to be burning wood and not oil.  I am seeing my wood pile shrink but that's ok.  Stay warm everyone!
Aitkin, Minnesota

walkerdogman85

• OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »

Oh yeah sure got cold it said -10 to 15 with wind chill last night sure glad I got the owb I am burning sycamore I put a few splits in yesterday at 2 pm before work and put 8 big splits in last night at 11. My furnace is running a lot but it doesn't matter lol. We keep ours on 73 and we are comfortable. I couldn't imagine electric bill if we didn't have it
Michael West
Central Ohio

walkerdogman85

• OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »

I forgot to mention I live in central ohio and like you said I don't notice much more wood usage but my pile is slowly going away oh well over all burning since September 17 I have used roughly 6 cords using hardy h4
Michael West
Central Ohio

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »

I really didnt ever imagine I'd be this excited about cold weather  ;D
This is our first year too being soley on wood and its been fun to compare previous years data. My wife and girls are LOVING this heat and it makes me feel so good to not cringe and see dollar signs when the heater turns on. We now just wave to the Gas man as he drives by slowly :D
This weather sure has been aweful but I really wanted to see what this thing would do and how much I'd have to load it and I can say that I am very impressed. I do need to do more house Insulating to make it really sing I think. The wind just comes straight thru the walls  :bash:.

Last 2 days Temps
Day - average 5deg with windchill -10
Night - average -3deg with windchill -22

Old 2 story Farmhouse
2500sqft
No insulation in walls except a few
New doors and windows[/b]

Old Setup
Furance 1 - 100,000btu Propane - Runtime 22hrs daily in comparable cold weather
Furance 2 - 48,000btu Pellets - Runtime 24hrs daily on high - 120/lbs 3 bags daily
House Setpoints - 66 during the day and 64 at night
Vent temperature - Blowing 101deg air

New Setup
Furance - Heatmaster 10,000E OWB - 180' run to house, 150' run to shop, 85' run to barn - 3 wrap insulated Pex in 4" black corregated
OWB Water Temp - 185deg
Wood usuage - Burning green fresh cut Ash and Oak - 2 fills daily 3/4full - Large rounds and some splits. 
House usage - House Furance fan Runtime 8.6hrs daily in comparable cold weather
House Setpoints - 68 during the day, 70 from 5pm to 11pm, and 66 at night
House Vent temperature - Blowing 128deg air
Domestic Water - Unlimited supply for house and shop
Shop - 1500sqft well insulated, 16' ceiling, Hydronic - 55deg setpoint -pump ran average 2.2hrs daily last 2 days  - usually under 1hr daily in normal 15-20deg weather
Barn - 600sqft partially insulated, 10' ceiling, Forced air - 60deg setpoint -Fan ran average 6hrs daily last 2 days  - usually under 3hr daily in normal 15-20deg weather
HeatMaster 10,000E

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »

Doing well here in ky as well.  The little tiny xt was able to give me about 12 hours last night on a load of split oak.  Temps here were around 5 degrees with windchills -15 to -20.  Currently 13 degrees.  Expected to head towards 0 tonight.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »

I live in NC near the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's been fairly nice here but just started dipping into the
20's this week. I haven't really noticed extra usage yet but I'm sure it will start as the temp stays
below 30.

I burn mostly oak/locust but do use pine to help get a few fires going.

Hope everyone stays warm!!!

J Cooch

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cb5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »

Informed the propane delivery guy today, that he need not return until fall thanks. It will be in the - temps for the next few nights here in NH. Fifth season with the CB5036 and I do not miss the sound of my propane furnace.     I also do not miss the bill.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »

Cooch - I live in NH too and isn't it nice NOT hearing the oil/propane furnace run?  When I did heat with oil, I had to keep the house at 68 and not higher.  As it was I was spending over $5,000.00/year for fuel oil.  With the OWB, I keep my house at 70 degrees, 24/7 and heat my DHW with it.  As far as I'm concerned my OWB has passed the test with flying colors.  Granted it's my second year with it but with all new things, last year I experienced a lot of growing pains.  Stay inside where it's warm.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »

Northeast Pennsylvania and we had a hi of 18 and the low tonight is 8 . First year with the  earth mountain man 500 and we're loving it! The house is set at 72 and it stays at 72 with a warm even consistent heat,also heating DHW and with no shortage. Best investment I made as a home owner and its already paying it's self off. I've been wanting this unit for a couple years now and thanks to this site and all the helpfull people involved the growing pains haven't been to bad. Still learning and thanks everyone for the good info. Stay warm everyone and happy burning!!!
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »

North central ohio low of 6 today, 5 tomorrow -15 wind chill.  Need more insulation in this old farm house, bumped up boiler temp to try and keep up.
North Central Ohio

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

-22 & -24 the last two nights here in Central MN. 73 degree inside  :D Loaded a little more wood into firebox than usual so am still getting a 24 hour burn time. This is the kind of weather I oversized my OWF a little for. Bring it on!

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

24hr burn times easy with my burnrite out of mt pleasant mi. House is 70 constant and wife is a stay at home mom using hot water etc. Stove set at 170-180 using triple wrapped double tiled pex. Broeder pump properly bled out before during and after install on high speed with no issues.

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »

Woke up this morning to 7 degrees and has been in the teens all day. Now it is headed back to 0 tonight but the good old stove keeps bringing the warmth to the house!!! Just put a couple extra pieces in the stove and head back inside to enjoy. Stay warm.

DaveWertz

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »

In Northeast PA here. My house was built in 1901 and really have only replacement windows. My house was a little chilly today being down in single digits. I had the thermostat set at 72 and it stayed between 63-66. Needless to say when it got a colder tonight I set it at 76 before I left and can't wait to see what it says when i get home. Anybody have any tips what I can do to help heat this old place up? It's base board water btw. Could start a fire in basement have a new stainless insert in chimney that I haven't used yet but I hate dealing with two fires.
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290
Pages: [1] 2 3