Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: pictures of homemade furnace  (Read 4115 times)

rosewood

• View Profile
pictures of homemade furnace
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »

I finally got a few pictures uploaded, they are on the outdoor wood furnace picture site.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: pictures of homemade furnace
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »

how many gallons of water does the beast hold rosewood?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »

willie..it holds almost 1300 gal. i leave the water level down to about the 1200 gal range. for expansion and steam off                                                           i used ''greer tank calculator'' site to figure out capacities during the build .  wrapped with r79 worth of insulation it holds a ton of stored btu's . in hindsight i wish i went to around 1800 gals!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »

i am thinking of making a new furnace with the holding tank being seperate from the stove itself..i am thinking of a heat exchanger betweent he furnace (running glycol solution) and the main heat storage tank only water heating the large tank to temp and then having the OWB acually shut down. i am thinking with one long burn i wont be wasting BTU's on start up and shut down..with the gallonage you have how long does your water last on an average day before your OWB kicks in again?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »

willie , i have aquastat diff set at 165 lo 185 hi ,at hi 20s lo30 and t-stat set at 70 its cycles every 4-5 hours .  i think if i brought temp up to 195 it could provide enough heat for 16-20 hours depending on heat load , outside temp, t-stat setting.