Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Solar and wood boilers, electric company hates me lol  (Read 11452 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Solar and wood boilers, electric company hates me lol
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »

I just drove for 5 hours and seen a lot of solar collector on my route. Most were covered with a layer of snow, no money made today for sure. Some looked like a light dusting of snow, wonder how hard it would be to brush off or if it would be worth it. Most collectors around here are the tracking style but there are a few rigid ones, they are also covered with snow.

there not hard to brush off at all

just need a broom on a long pole

tracking is fine, it improves efficency by 30% but buying 30% more panels is way cheaper than the tracking. ...   

we have a huge sell on our solar stuff right now....
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 07:45:30 PM »

I just drove for 5 hours and seen a lot of solar collector on my route. Most were covered with a layer of snow, no money made today for sure. Some looked like a light dusting of snow, wonder how hard it would be to brush off or if it would be worth it. Most collectors around here are the tracking style but there are a few rigid ones, they are also covered with snow.

there not hard to brush off at all

just need a broom on a long pole

tracking is fine, it improves efficency by 30% but buying 30% more panels is way cheaper than the tracking. ...   

we have a huge sell on our solar stuff right now....
typically my trackers will clean themselves off in about 30 min of sun. and if i am near by i just use a "roof rake"made for snow. in the early morning sun my trackers  are very close to 90 degrees so snow falls off easily. they make some heat as the sun gets through the snow and on that sharp angle it slide off quickly
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »

Yep willie is correct

The company we sell solar for has a big mark down right now if u know anyone interested

A 5000 watt system just like mine is 8999, this includes all mounting and hardware to do so, as well as a 5kw kaco inverter

Ready to roll
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »

Do you just run screws through the shingles? If so, what happens if a customer's roof starts leaking? Even if it has nothing to do with the solar panel mounts, I would bet they would blame it on that.

Yes u do.  Under the rail you run a bead of stuff down it putting a gob around each hole, the bolt them squeezes it down and it essentially seals it back, it's not silicone though, not sure what it is but it's supposed to never set up or get hard, pretty neat stuff.  I never had any to leak.  See no reason it should either.  The top of the bolt also has a rubber washer around it. 

Sounds like water cutoff, or could be butyl rubber.

Water cutoff is some nasty stuff to get off your hands or clothes. Dad was a union tin knocker and they'd make the apprentices apply that stuff. It doesn't ever get hard that I've seen so there claims about that are spot on.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]