Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New EPA standards  (Read 11137 times)

merrellroofing

Re: New EPA standards
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »

When does the 60 days start to liquidate inventory?

coondog1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »

This just really sucks.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »

As long as victor is around ain't nothing coming to a halt.

woodwalker2010

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »

They can have my stick of wood when they pry it out of my cold dead hand, lol! But right now thanks to my owb it's a warm hand. Long live the owb.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »

Here in Michigan, they have the right to inspect all taxable property, inside and out. If they want in or on they just call in the proper paperwork. Most of the time it's the neighbors that start the initial call. And all that is, is some stupid yuppie that didn't like what they seen when they drove by. There are already people that drive around the burbs looking for smoke. I'm sorry that's more like riding their $10,000 bicycle in the middle of the dirt roads in the country. Upper macomb and Oakland specifically. I guess the multimillion dollar paved bike trails aren't good enough for them.
It is a sad shame, but their is also a law that allows you to build items that don't meet code. The Home Depots sell lots of plumbing and electrical parts that don't comply. I don't know if this will apply or not. You can't pass a law to put someone out of business. Being licensed is where you have less say, yet are more liable. A handyman is not , as far as trades go.

I don't know if I would get too worried about whether they will still be built. There are many wood burning devices that have and do already comply with the low emissions and particulate. Cat stoves, lambda controlled wood boilers, and a few gasification boilers. It might actually bring the price of those down if they all have to have that to be clean. Heck a lot of these OWB's are burning pretty good results in the lab, if they can improve operator in field performance then it might not be all that hard.

I still despise market manipulation , treehuggers, and liberal morons that squeal so much and push politically correct trash into law. When in many cases it never effects or applies to them. I'm sure many of you have read some of the stupidest comments on youtube OWB videos from said cidiots,treehuggers, libs,etc...
Michigan Thumber

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 05:31:15 AM »

What I believe will drive prices higher is the standards that start 5 years after phase 2 become mandatory. There are no batch wood outdoor furnaces on the market at this time that will meet that standard. I feel confident some companies will be able to develop one but its going to cost hundreds of thousands and possibly millions to do so.  And of course those funds will have to come from profits off of phase 2 furnaces.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »

Well said Yoder!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:43 AM »

Here in Michigan, they have the right to inspect all taxable property, inside and out. If they want in or on they just call in the proper paperwork.

Sounds to me like that law is in violation of the 4 Amendment.  :bash:

Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »

Yoder iam  just saying that's what guys are doing around here already so.e towns are cracking down on the owb
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

jtepn87

• OWF Brand: Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 140
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »

With these new regs, are owners of owb's going to have to replace their boilers; or is this going to be a dealer and builder nightmare without affecting the current end users?

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »

Existing furnaces are grandfathered in so as long as you can keep yours running its ok.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »

As with any product period, when regulation affects dealers and builders it also effects the end user in higher cost and less choices.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »

Sounds like I need to hone my welding skills so if I ever need another stove, I'll just build my own and dare someone to tell me I can't use it to keep my family warm. I know that doesn't help you dealers out there but it's what a lot of folks with the means will do. Once again, the losers will be you small business guys out there trying to beat in an honest living with big brother kicking your tale. I'm hoping my P&M lasts forever but the welder is ready if I need it!!! Good luck to everyone.

Indiana has adopted the new laws, only gasifiers can be sold in the state if I understand correctly, again if I understand home built units are exempt yet. The older non gasifying units are grandfathered in until they need replaced then you'll have to replace it with a gasifier. I'm going to be building a gasifier next to replace ole smoky that I built almost 14 years ago. If they get too picky I'll just make the replacements look identical to what they are replacing and tell em with a big grin that the "original" is still going strong.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

jtepn87

• OWF Brand: Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 140
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »

mlappin, I have this crazy idea of building an owb with a removable firebox. So that if either the firebox or water jacket needed repaired, or replaced you would just have to pull out the firebox and go to welding now if I just had the shop and tools to do so.  :-\

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »

Jtepn87 , it's already done, The B-L series from P+M
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4