Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: E Classic?  (Read 4523 times)

Ohiovrod

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: CB
  • OWF Model: Not sure as of yet!
    • View Profile
E Classic?
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »

With a small town installation would a E-Classic be more for my liking? I heard if I want to keep my neighbors off my butt because it smokes mush less. I understand how it works but from some reading and conversations I was told its picky about the type off wood that can be used. Will the system work if the wood is seasoned but not a high quality hardwood?
Timber Wolf Splitter 30 Ton
"TomHawk" Homemade 37 Ton Skid Steer Splitter
Bri Mar Dump Trailer
Case Skid Steer

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: E Classic?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »

The E-Classics required the wood to be season..The wood is smaller as well..You can burn any type of wood as long as its dry..But yes they do smoke less than the old style boilers..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:41:48 AM »

As with any of the "gassers", I give my firewood a good 2 years to season.  Plus, I split it in varying sizes from 4 inch diameter and 10 inch diameter.  Not only does this allow for better drying, the fire rekindles quicker also.  Everything is cut to 24 inch long.  I'm on my 3rd season with my E-classic 1400.  I've had absolutely no issues with it other than the ones due to my laziness and negligence.  It's important that the primary air holes in the rear and sides of the firebox remain unobstructed.  I run a piece of stiff wire through each hole every 2 weeks, creosote will build up if you're not paying attention to it.  I also remove the ash from the reaction chamber at the same time.  My experience shows there 2 times when I see smoke; 1) when it "pulses", that is, it is set up to turn on the blower for 50 seconds every 8 minutes (these settings are set by you, the owner) to prevent the coals from dieing when it is idling.  2) when I put in fresh firewood, but that only lasts for a few minutes until the reaction chamber reaches a temp over 750, then the smoke disappears.  I hope this helps.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Ohiovrod

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: CB
  • OWF Model: Not sure as of yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:00:53 AM »

Cool all my wood I split is seasoned for 2-3 years. So that should not be a issue. Actually just made this skid steer splitter and it works awesome, so splitting is not as back breaking.  8) my dealer has a 1450 on his lot and said it is the cats meow so I'm kind of thinking about them because of my city setting and the smoke. Yes it is my house and my property but I also have to live my neighbors.
Timber Wolf Splitter 30 Ton
"TomHawk" Homemade 37 Ton Skid Steer Splitter
Bri Mar Dump Trailer
Case Skid Steer

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:53:14 AM »

Ohiovrod ( I like the name) - There are a few other posters who have the 1450, perhaps they'll chime in to offer a bit of insite. 

The 1450 has a feature I wish the 1400 had - the removable corner panels in the rear.  It makes life a little easier when cleaning the corners; you can reach them with ease.  The 1400 does not have the removable corners so I have stick my head in the firebox (after I've removed the hot coals, placed in a metal bucket to be reused after the holes are clear) to reach them.  I also believe the 1450 comes with the new Firestar controller.  It is wifi enabled so if you have an ipad, iphone, etc... you can monitor your OWB from anywhere you have a wifi enabled device.  Pretty cool.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

lasasj

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »

This is my first year burning with a 1450. As roger and others have said, key is seasoned wood. You can burn any type if it's seasoned well. Some offer more heat than others obviously. In general my unit hardly smokes at all unless I put new wood in or it's pulsing... The amount of smoke is also directly proportional to how seasoned it is in my opinion.  In fact I've been layering very seasoned wood and semi seasoned ash and I can tell how far down the wood is by the smoke it puts out (keep in mind they burn upside down so that's how I know) I will not burn anything less than 1.5-2 years seasoned in years to come after seeing the difference.  The 1450 does require more daily/weekly maintenance than the old classics.

My parents have owned a 6048 for 7 or 8 years with no issue. They can burn wet pine or anything they decide to cut each day and have no issue with the fire going out. Don't expect that with the 1450.  I will say that they burn a lot more wood (due to the units size, unseasoned wood and less efficiency without gasification) and their unit puts out a lot of smoke.  All in all I'm glad I have the 1450. Learning how to properly operate it was a huge learning curve.  A little knowledge of how the unit works goes a long way. Folks here are a great resource and always willing to help.

When I was first researching I had a lot of questions. Feel free to ask.

I burn one full cord of wood every two weeks when the weather is in the single digits. This is due to having 50 percent horsehair insulation and 50 percent no insulation. We just got a couple feet of snow and now One cord will last me over a month... The snow is actually insulating my house and decreasing my wood consumption by 50 percent. Lol. We plan on insulating this year once half the house is reconstructed again. My house is roughly 2000 sf and we keep the temp at 72 usually. 

Any specific questions about the 1450 feel free to ask

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »

If that's the area you live (the pic of the splitter ) you will be happy with the amount of smoke that comes out! You can't even tell when mine is running ! Expect for for a few times , ever little.

Have a 1400e classic  and love it!

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »

..We just got a couple feet of snow and now One cord will last me over a month... The snow is actually insulating my house and decreasing my wood consumption by 50 percent. Lol...

;D   :thumbup:
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 03:52:58 AM »

I work at an Ivy League institution where we have students attending courses from all of the country and world.  For those who never have experienced snow (cold weather too) they can't understand how something so cold can have an insulating value.  :)  I spent some bucks insulating my 1840's farmhouse and it was worth every penny.  It's easier to heat and the drafts are minimal.  The minor drafts are okay for I do not have spend money having fresh air pumped into the house.

One thing about the my E-Classic 1400.  People have joked, lamented about the "time" it takes to fuel them.  Well, when I get home from work I change into my home work clothes, go outside and put in enough wood to last the night (enough for 12 hours - don't over fill it) come inside, get out of the old grubby clothes and I'm ready for dinner.  It sounds like a lot but from start to finish takes about 10 minutes.  My actual time spent outside is about 5 minutes.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

5050racing

• OWF Brand: CB-1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »

I own a 1450 and love it first year,No smoke of to speak of just a little puff when pulse,buy it I wanted the classic but salesman said 1/2 the wood no smoke and NO LIE,everyone house is different mine is insulated 1850 and addition 15 yrs ago and left house in 20 or less degrees for 30 hrs and still little wood left house at 65!

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »

There is a learning curve to using it,but once you get the hang of it i think they work great, i have a e1400,  i go crazy for a few weekend in the spring cutting  and splitting mostly pine then i burn  it, as long as i keep the air inlets clean it runs great.
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

5050racing

• OWF Brand: CB-1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »

There sure is a learning curve but once you get it it's simple,we were 0 degrees last night high of 28 now -4 tonight and still no problem running 12 hrs with 2-4 hrs left if I wasn't home to load and my house is 70 and all the hot water I want to use!!!