Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underground Lines  (Read 5299 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Lines
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »

Closed cell foam is not water proof, it may be water proof in its intended application as a wall insulation but when buried in the ground it can break down and absorb water.  I have seen it recently, the customer said it worked great for 4 years and this winter he started having growing issues as winter went on. 

The gas inside the bubbles that make up closed cell foam do try to escape over time, this is one of the reasons logstor uses a membrane inside there pipe to stop this flow of gas out of the bubbles, this made for a much better and longer lasting product. 

There is absolutely no way to ever achieve 0 heat loss.

The customer that had the spray foam had it probably 8 inches around his line set, the outside of the foam is Def breaking down and absorbing water and in places it has cracks that go down to the pipes

With that being said, customer double checked with installer to make sure he used closed cell foam, of course he did.  They contacted the manufacturer and later so did I, the manufacturer which is one of the largest, said that the foam can't handle any temps over 180 degrees and that it was never designed to be placed in the ground. 

Soooo....   take it for what it's worth

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

crankshaftdan II

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »

Question remains here-did he have the foam encapulated in plastic?  If sprayed into visquine(4 mil) and adheres to the plastic would this NOT be the same as the liner in the logstor?  Has anyone seen a foam line dug up to verify the cracks and intrusion?  Not trying to stir the pot here-just questioning-as it seems that this is a new option to use in lieu of the more expensive logstor and is of some merit??

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 05:33:37 AM »

You would have to wrap the foamed line with plastic after, wich could be a pain in the butt. Closed cell foam will stick to plastic but not very well.
Western Maine

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »

What would it matter if u did wrap it in plastic?  U can't possibly seal that plastic, 4 mil plastic is nothing compared to the case thickness of logstor

Also,  logstor isn't depending on there case to stop the gas, that's why they added the membrane layer inside the pipe itself

I've yet to see a spray foam manufacturer say there product would be good underground or that it would handle temps over 180 degrees, this isn't the designed purpose of the foam some folks are trying to use
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »

Question remains here-did he have the foam encapulated in plastic?  If sprayed into visquine(4 mil) and adheres to the plastic would this NOT be the same as the liner in the logstor?  Has anyone seen a foam line dug up to verify the cracks and intrusion?  Not trying to stir the pot here-just questioning-as it seems that this is a new option to use in lieu of the more expensive logstor and is of some merit??

i have seen a faom line about 12 inches square and wrapped in plastic dug up......a section 12 feet long could not be lifted by one man!

that being said i can not say for certain if it was closed or open celll faom as it was not mine
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »

For those who are thinking of using spray foam why don't you buy a can of closed cell foam, cover a 2' long piece of pipe and set the whole thing in a 5 gallon pail of water for awhile and see what happens. If it leaks right away or within a few days you will know it will definitely fail over time.
Then I would buy Logstor, again.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »

The can stuff isn't exactly the same as what's sprayed from a rig. There are many options, and blends. I do know great stuff and the professional sprayed in foam will float in sumps, cisterns, or submerged in tanks for decades without absorbing more than .10%. That being said, I know if the pex pipe itself leaks in the underground pipe closed package, it will pressurized the whole line set and under pressure and direct hot water contact will break down and hold water.
There are blends that are more flexible, insect repellent, NIFPA fire retardant and stuff made for direct burial. Which what was used in the article previously posted to insulate basement walls below grade.  Anything is possible, especially when we see youtube videos of the guy redoing his failed lines with garbage bags , duct tape and pink batting insulation.
Michigan Thumber

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

I seen that video too,  they didn't appreciate my comments lol
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »

Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

Just looking on Pex Supply, 300 ft roll of 1.25" hePex is about 1700.    If Logstor is even $14 a foot its only $400 and change more. Logstor it is then.
Western Maine

rclay1981

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 600HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »

HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS USED THIS PRODUCT BEFORE
http://www.insulseal.com/index.html
Pages: 1 [2]