Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Narrowed the results down to two choices  (Read 7157 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Narrowed the results down to two choices
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »

Empyre must have a good design the, after doing a lot of research if I was to use stainless it would be 409 for various reasons.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »

Empyre must have a good design the, after doing a lot of research if I was to use stainless it would be 409 for various reasons.

It sure works well for Heatmaster

From my research I believe it's a good material to use as well
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »

Hello Sprinter,can you please specify why P & M,what do you not like about the CB? As far as the stainless goes, CB is also rolled steel like P & M now. I may be going to a farm Show this week where both brands are so I can compare apples to apples, but would rather hear from experience than salesmen, not meaning you SlimJim, look forward to your comments, but at the show I am sure both will have the best furnace and down play the other one.

In my opinion the centrals of today aren't as rugged or quality as those 8 or more years old. It seems that big company has taken the path to learn how to build its products cheaper. At the cost of quality welding, cheaper steel and tougher warranty process. They sell cause of all the bells and whistles, probably the best marketing in the industry and their history of having a very good product. Still even back in the day I would still say the P&M has always put out a higher quality product top to bottom. The scotch marine design is almost as old as Columbus' boat, because it works. Burn efficiency is one thing but overall thermal efficiency is more important. I know there are SS units out there that have some miles on them, but SS is NOT the best material to use for boilers. It doesn't transfer heat as well (11% when comparing similar thickness) and is susceptible to cracking no matter what grade it is.
Michigan Thumber

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »

There you go bashing modern technology again. You go ahead and go to battle in your Christopher Columbus ship. I'll use todays nuclear aircraft carrier or destroyer, with radar and  missiles. You can use your sails and cannon balls. You just said old technology is better. Oh and I'll take by truck down the road and we can race your horse and buggy, since old technology is better you've got to like your chances...Let's go a little more modern. I'll use air conditioning and you can roll your windows down. You've got to quit riding your modern technology is bad horse.  Seriously, we already know you still prefer indoor wood stoves over the outdoor stoves. I'll use that indoor space for something else, while keeping the fire, dirt, bugs and mess outside.  But that's just my choice as well.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »

Boilerman, do you really need a hug or what, Your opinion is very valued here on the CB product line, just because Sprinter likes indoor boilers doesn't mean he's a bit demented, the man has numbers coming out of his head that neither of us understand, if we all work together we could help an awful lot of people gain energy independence,  You and I have had our fair share of disagreements and so have Sprinter and I, you and I are simple, brand names, Sprinter and I, outside VS inside, we all have an opinion, someday if we are all lucky I'll convince you both, let's try to not be so angry all the time, ( MY WIFE TELLS ME THAT ALL THE TIME) can't we all just get along, (HUGS)
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »

SlimJim. I am in Canada, the farm show I am talking about is in Ottawa, about 1.25 hours from me. I tried contacting P&M but no one answered, will try again later. I am wondering about  a dealer close to me, I am north of Kingston, Ontario, and especially individuals nearby that have P & M units that I can see in the field working. I have one major question on these two brands that I have narrowed my choice down to-not only wood size but wood length-how critical. I now have a gasification maple syrup evaporator, for which I needed  to cut the wood longer than I used to so the wood covers the grates each load, otherwise the air will come through the grates at the easiest location where there is no wood, thereby less gasification and heat. I would rather not have to fight a large block of maple or oak onto the splitter, we still tend to cut our wood about 16-20 inches in length, would this be a problem with either of these furnaces?

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 06:50:02 PM »

I think Brian is at that show right now, go and say Hi, ask him what he thinks, he talks funny, like he's from another country but all in all he's a great guy, stick around after the show and get to know him, I DID.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »

Boilermans panties are awfully tight on his CB. I'm just saying on the last 10-12 CB jobs, I didn't see the customer support that a $11-$15k job deserves, and not one warranty case resolved without having to really squeak the wheel of the ones that did get resolved. I also think that the welding and metal thickness/quality is not what it used to be. Not when I'm seeing 15 year old CB's next door to a failed 4year old or two year old.

I'm just saying if we cut both of them in half and dissect them , more will prefer the P&M. And I did state it's my opinion. I also feel if we do weighted burns and throw an analyzer on them it would be a no brainer. But some still like fancy gadgets and gauges.

AND last but not least I will put any of my indoor models up against any CB. It truly would be an unfair challenge. It's amazing how those tiny little indoor models do the work of a giant CB even before storage. Thermal efficiency!!!!!!!!

Your more than welcome to document or post up some factual knowledge to discredit my opinion. Shouldn't be that hard since I just have an opinion.
Michigan Thumber

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:34 AM »

Update today on furnace selection, P & M is making it pretty easy to decide. I called head office over 3 weeks ago to inquire about which furnace to replace the Empyre with, where I could see one in action, and where  a dealer would be close to me. I was told by the gentleman I was talking  to that they would get right back to me. Guess what, haven't heard a word from them yet.  I don't believe there is any excuse for this in business today. Another member from this forum sent me a private message with the name and number of  a dealer 20 minutes away, so I phoned him 2 weeks ago with the same questions, guess what, NO response there either . I called him back last night to question why, told me he has been busy fielding other calls, do I not qualify as a potential customer or what? He gave me the number of a customer over 2 hours away that has the BL3444, upon speaking to him he gave me the generic answer of how happy he is with his choice, but also told me  he has only had the furnace since Nov. 1, furnace was late in coming by 1 month and delivered in a snow storm with road salt all over it on an open trailer.
   Any time I have spoken to the CB dealer, he has been quick to get back to me with any answers to my questions, I have spoken to a number of his clients, one told me last night that yes there had been some problems, but between the dealer and CB had been resolved very quickly. It makes me wonder just how eager P & M is to make the sale, and if there should be any problems would I be left out in the cold? P & M really needs to get their act together to be able to sell me on their unit

rclay1981

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 600HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »

I CALLED P & M 2 WEEKS AGO TO FIND OUT IF THEIR WAS A DEALER WITH IN A 100 MILES OF ME THEY SAID NO THAT IT WOULD BE BEST TO DEAL WITH THEM. THANKS TO ANOTHER MEMBER ON HERE THEY GAVE ME A DEALERS NUMBER THAT IS 75 MILES OF ME. I CALLED THEM BACK AND ASK THEM WHY THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME HIS NUMBER AND THEY NEVER GAVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THEY DON'T CARE ENOUGH TO LOCATE A DEALER OR THAT THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO CUT HIM OUT OF THE LOOP

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »

Sure seems funny guys that I personally don't recall speaking with either of you, perhaps I did and don't recall, if so I do apologize, we have been very busy and may have slipped, not a normal year, rclay as far as local dealer, stocking dealers have a protected area of 50 miles or 1 hour, non stocking dealers are those that like to sell our units but invest little to nothing, please try to put yourself in corporate's position, whom do you suppose is going to take care of the customer, a person who invests in our product or a person who only wishes to cash in on the name brand, if you have an issue with contacting corporate or your local dealer please make me aware of your issue, I WILL TAKE CARE OF THE ISSUE!

rclay1981

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 600HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »

THAT MAKES SINCE SLIM THANKS FOR CLEARING IT UP FOR ME

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 05:36:16 AM »

You are welcome!
Pages: 1 [2]