Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Jonsered chainsaws  (Read 5233 times)

jtepn87

• OWF Brand: Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 140
    • View Profile
Jonsered chainsaws
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »

Has anyone ever used one of these? I saw them in Tractor Supply today. They looked really nice and felt really good in my hands. Much better than the similar priced Sthils over at Farm & Home, which felt "plasticy" even to a Poulan Pro owner. Apparently they are a branch of Husqvarna, but are priced similar, so I don't understand the marketing of them. That's besides the point. Just wanted to get some opinions on them.

jtepn87

• View Profile
Re: Jonsered chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »

Just saw that MattyNH has a few of them. Hopefully he will chime in.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »

They've made great saws for a while.  What's on the shelves at TSC is not the saw that they made their name on.  Just like almost all other saw brands, there's the good version and then the consumer version.  You want to get the professional version of whatever saw brand you buy.  It will be more money up front but worth it in the long haul. 

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:51:10 AM »

Mr. Judds is right.  If you get a saw, get it from a "dealer" not a box store. 

As far as the Jonsered goes, there are several guys around here that swear by them.  They are hard to come by and service shops are few and far between.  That was one of the main reasons I went with Stihl.  But, the guys that use them love them. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:15:41 AM »

I used a Jonsereds 2149 for over 10 years, we have a few dealers around here. My saw works great and I still use it for limbing, I bought a bigger Husky and I use that most of the time now but I have gotten great years of cutting out of  my Jonsereds, bought it new and cut probably +/- 100 cord of wood with it in its lifetime. I went through 2 bars, probably 3 air filters, many chains but never had to do anything for repairs.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »

All of my saws are Jonsered..Nothing but good luck with them..Jonsered saws are the sister saw to Husqvarna..Same company..But Jonsered saw are the professional saw..You couldn't buy them with out going through a dealer until Tractor Supply..Dont get why you guys say get from the dealer not the box store when its the exact same saw..The statement just blows my mind..Ive looked at all of them at Tractor Supply..The only thing you might be able to argue is the price on either side (dealer, or tractor supply)..Jtepen87 highly recommend Jonsered..What model saw # are you looking at? At my signature you can see the modle #'s I have.. The 2188 Ive had for a yr now and the 2165 I had for 8 yrs  (2166 is the new number)..and the 2050 for 10 yrs..And yes all of my saws are bought from a dealer before TSC even sold or about to carry Jonsered
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:26:38 PM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

jtepn87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »

I'm really not looking right now. We just walked into Tractor Supply and I was drawn to them. It would be nice to have something more robust than what I currently have, but it's not a need right now. I didn't know a thing about them, and knew this was the place to ask. Not to start an argument, just trying to learn and understand;but if they are the pro saw, why are they slightly cheaper than Husqvarna?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »

Supply and demand, they used to be more popular up here than Stihl with the logging crews, then along came Husky and they sold lots because they were lighter, faster and cheaper, Husky hurt Jonsered to the point that Jonsered had to cheapen up to compete, the only saw to hold the line on quality in my opinion will not be found in a box store and that one is STIHL, I've owned, run and hated using them all, my first was a right hand starter McCoughlah(I know that's spelled wrong but you get the picture) I was 7 years old when my grandfather started it and shoved it into my exited little hands, he then said GET WOOD. I nicknamed my kid that when he was 12.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »

All of my saws are Jonsered..Nothing but good luck with them..Jonsered saws are the sister saw to Husqvarna..Same company..But Jonsered saw are the professional saw..You couldn't buy them with out going through a dealer until Tractor Supply..Dont get why you guys say get from the dealer not the box store when its the exact same saw..The statement just blows my mind..Ive looked at all of them at Tractor Supply..The only thing you might be able to argue is the price on either side (dealer, or tractor supply)..Jtepen87 highly recommend Jonsered..What model saw # are you looking at? At my signature you can see the modle #'s I have.. The 2188 Ive had for a yr now and the 2165 I had for 8 yrs  (2166 is the new number)..and the 2050 for 10 yrs..And yes all of my saws are bought from a dealer before TSC even sold or about to carry Jonsered

It has become a well known fact about modern day commerce.  The big box stores pull a lot of weight when it comes to price lines on products they put on their shelves.  The John Deere mower that sits in front of Lowe's is NOT the same tractor that sits on the lot at a dealer.  There have been concessions built into the Lowe's tractor to get the pricepoint down to where Lowe's says it should be.  Just like Slim said, Stihl has not compromised on their product and refuses to make these compromises to get them into the big stores. 

The president of Stihl describes the process very well.  It's the last of a set of 4 video's about the "Distribution Trap." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO0-m_nI1P0

I should also add, I'm not pushing anyone from Jonsered to Stihl.  I'm simply responding to the comment about box store quality and Stihl helps illustrate that point.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:41:38 AM by CountryBoyJohn »
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

jtepn87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:09 AM »

I personally don't like Sthil that much. The good saws are good but the homeowner lines that you find in like a Farm&Home feel like nothing but cheap plastic. Even the ones that were 300-400 didn't feel like they had the quality of the Jonsered in Tractor Supply that were comparable in price.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »

It has become a well known fact about modern day commerce.  The big box stores pull a lot of weight when it comes to price lines on products they put on their shelves.  The John Deere mower that sits in front of Lowe's is NOT the same tractor that sits on the lot at a dealer.  There have been concessions built into the Lowe's tractor to get the pricepoint down to where Lowe's says it should be.  Just like Slim said, Stihl has not compromised on their product and refuses to make these compromises to get them into the big stores. 

The president of Stihl describes the process very well.  It's the last of a set of 4 video's about the "Distribution Trap." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO0-m_nI1P0

I should also add, I'm not pushing anyone from Jonsered to Stihl.  I'm simply responding to the comment about box store quality and Stihl helps illustrate that point.
I know that the john deere mower isn't the same as the dealer mower..I have the John Deere mower that came from the Home Depot..MTD probably made it just like all the other box store mowers… But then again about John Deere..Most of the compact tractors at the John Deere dealership are made by Yanmar Not John Deere..My Buddy has a 2000 790 JD..Powered by Yanmar and on the back where the vin for the tractor itself, right under it says Yanmar Corp…So its really a Yanmar tractor not a JD tractor…Ive looked at both JD and Yamar tractors at the fairs…Very very similar they are..Just a different color..Back to the chain saw..My buddy bought the Jonsered 2155 from the dealer..When TSC finally opened up…We check the saw out and even compared them..Its the exact same saw that came from the dealership that he bought..So I don't know what else to say..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »

I think the entry level homeowner JD mower might even be made by MTD these days. They seem to make every other brand under the sun anymore.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

diesel-dodge

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmore 200 ss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »

Jonsered and husqarna are owned by electro lux. Most all the saws has a same counterpart red and orange with different badges. But not all are identical. I think that all companies makes good and bad items. stihl  jonsered and Husqvarna. The pro models are the ones to go for and find a saw that is the weight and bar length you are looking for.
jason