Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: low water volume and effect on operation  (Read 9025 times)

VTsmoke

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
low water volume and effect on operation
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »

I am looking to upgrade to a new outdoor wood boiler.  I looking at the Aqua-Therm.  I like the closed system and eco-one design.  I am concerned, however, about the small volume of water in the water jacket.  many other boiler companies put 300gal. plus in their larger boilers, Aqua puts only 76.  I am concerned about overheating.  Are people putting in auxillary tanks.  I know many gasification units, like Tarm, almost require an external water tank to be efficient. 

Any input from users would be great.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: low water volume and effect on operation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »

If you want that furnace, I'd guess you probably want to add storage too.  The benefit to adding storage as opposed to having it built in, is that you can get it cheaper most of the time. 

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »

i think you will need to add storage . the more the better, don't be fooled by dealers saying no its not needed.less capacity means lots more cycling of the stove, if you buy the stove i would look in to adding 500- 1000 gals of storage .if you add up the costs of tanks ,extra pumps ,insulation ,storage building,etc  your not to far from a garn.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:32:25 AM »

I was talking to a dealer the other day, he said that he runs a secondary pumping system to keep the furnace temps from falling to much. He said if you pump water direct from the boiler the return water is too cold causing the boiler temps to drop to fast and cause problems with condensation.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »

I have never yet seen an aqua-therm over heat only way its going to is if you load the whole stove up with wood and it gets to 50 above during the day !!! you have to regulate the wood you put in !!!all stoves will over heat if you fill them up when day time temps get to 40 or higher during the day. you need to regulate what wood is being put in

not all stoves overheat if it gets to 50 in the daytime. All stoves that leak air into the stove may

many folks turn down the thermostat for the summer to say 140 or 150, this allows the air feed (blower) to shut down at this temp and gives the stove a much higher "shut down of the fire" range. Lets say your stove shuts down at 140 but we all know the fire still rages for a few minutes as the air in teh stove is used up, this early shutdowm temp allows for the stove temmp to rise as the air is used  up but the air should be used up before boil over temps are reached

if your stove can not accomplish this...you have a bad air leaking stove

Lets not forget, many folks run their stove year round!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:31 AM »

I agree with WillieG, a properly built and maintained furnace shouldn't over heat even in the summer. Normally the HeatMaster furnaces I sell do very well until the outside temps hit around 100 in the summer.  Only then do my customers have to load the stove a little at a time.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »

I own a aqua-therm 275..This winter will be my 4th yr heating 1800sq ft house..Theres no need for external holding tanks.. etc  Less water is  heated quicker..Your oil furnace in your basement dont hold hundreds of gallons of water. As far as overheating my buddy has the exact same furnace..He runs his all year long..Never a problem of overheating in summer months...Only time the unit will overheat is if the door isnt shut all the way or the fan flapper isnt seated right..Other than that you can fill it all the way and dont have to touch it for a couple of days...Depends what type of wood is being burned too..

Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Larson88

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 06:51:36 AM »

my uncle has a aquatherm and he burns way more wood than he should. Im not bashing aquatherm but out of lets say 20 owb manufacturers there is only 1 that says you dont need much water. I would say aquatherm is out numbered.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 08:08:25 AM »

Whats way to much wood..I burn about 9 cord.. Hydronic wise less water is more efficient. My bro-in law bought the new pellet owb from Central..Only holds 90 gallons of water
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

Larson88

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 01:45:41 PM »

he burns about 20 cord. i just built an owb and it holds over 200 gal of water... lately it has been in the fourtys at night and 60 during the day and  if i fill it full it will last over 3 days with green wood.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 03:25:01 PM »

wow 20 cord..I havent fired my furnace up yet..Mine will be fired up next month..Thats pretty cool homemade owb
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »

I have a 145 and heat a 1200sf house and a 1200sf shop. I use about 5-6 full cords a year (Wisconsin winter). There are pluses and minuses about low water volume. I can have my whole system up to temp in less then 45 minutes with the right wood. I've always been able to get 10-12 hours burn times with my setup. I've already come home to 120 degree water temp and still had a warm home and it only took 20 minutes to get it up to 185 degrees. I have the most problems in warmer weather like now trying to keep the stove going. It idles to long and the fire goes out.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »

What I found is that in the warmer weather I cant put straight pine in..For some reason pine doesnt keep the hot coles like hardwood does..I run mine till the middle of May..My buddy runs his all summer..He mixes the wood..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »

here is my thought on low water volume vs high. Low water volume in a regular fired boiler (gas and oil) is ok when you need to heat the water the heat is instant. however when you want to heat with wood you have to take into consideration of the start and stop time of your fire and think of all the smoke (that is unburnt gas) that you get at these times. it is my belief (and i have no proof just my thoughts) that more water gives a longer burn cycle so you save on the wasted gas from these start and stop times the trick i guess is to insulate your tank good so you also dont lose the stored heat to a place where it is wasted. ??
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 02:28:06 PM »

Mine smokes the most is when you first fill it... Probably like any other brand of owb..Once any moisture in the wood is evaporated..Pretty much run like a wood stove, hardly know its there..I got a fan to get the fire fired up quickly..Natural draft ones are gonna smoke way more..Gonna take sometime to get that fire going..Either way they all have a bad rep.. for smoking..Looks like the new epa ones dont smoke like the older ones..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT
Pages: [1] 2