Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: slow the fan down!  (Read 14259 times)

ironwood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
slow the fan down!
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »

Has anyone tried slowing the fan down on an AquaTherm or better yet, relied on the flapper for the fresh air when aquastat calls for it?

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: slow the fan down!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »

I have a 145 and often wondered that myself. It seems at times  (when wood load is half burnt and less) that you wouldn't need the blower. I had an idea last year that if a guy put a temp sensor in the flue stack and used one of those cheap PID temp controllers to control the blower motor. If stack temps are above 400 degrees, cut the blower and just let the flap open. Or when the stack temp is below 400 degrees let the blower open with the flap open (like it normally runs). Of course all this would be wired in after the aquastat, so the aquastat still has control when the boiler calls for air. I believe that this would cut wood consumption. There is quite a few times when I open the boiler door and the fire is like a blow torch burning very hot. I believe at these conditions the blower could be cut and just let air in through the flap.  Does this sound like what your thinking?

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »

Really not sure how much you would save wood if you shut fan off..I would think the fire would burn longer to bring the temp up to where you have temp set....At times ive opened my door and theres no fire all..It would take awhile to get that fire going again and burn longer if you had natural draft..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »

Eco-one running a fasco 1/30 hp , 135 cfm... outlet is square..Its stock
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:21:56 AM »

Matt, I don't think you got what I was talking about. My idea was to cut the fan and just have the flap open when stack temps (not water temps) get above 400 degrees. In your case when you see no fire the stack temps would be low and that would allow the flap to open and the fan to run. When the fire got up to temp then it would cut the blower and just run with the flap open. Make sense??? Like I said, there are times when I have a great bed of coals and I don't think I need the blower operating. I think at these times it would run good with just the flap open.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »

I see what your sayig..For me I couldnt do that..My stack is 20feet up..I  would think Id need the hotter temps to keep the stack from plugging up..That would be one concern for me..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »

I talked to a guy in MI , they have installed a system where the fans come on /the fire starts, then once the fire is really going >it cuts the fans and then holds the flap up for natural draft, then shuts off at AQ temp ......says it keeps from blowing all the heat out the chimney........

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:43:56 AM »

I talked to a guy in MI , they have installed a system where the fans come on /the fire starts, then once the fire is really going >it cuts the fans and then holds the flap up for natural draft, then shuts off at AQ temp ......says it keeps from blowing all the heat out the chimney........

Cool! Any contact info for this guy that is doing the mod??

atvalaska

• 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »

I'm a longs ways from them guys and did not want to bother them , they  did not say how ,but the idea is a good one ...so I'm going to work it out myself   they did tell me to put a snap disk on the supply pipe and have it shut off the blowers when > it is out of wood/ u were late in filling >so as  to not keep blowing cold air on a non extant fire  -thus cooling the water/boiler even more...

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »

I'm a longs ways from them guys and did not want to bother them , they  did not say how ,but the idea is a good one ...so I'm going to work it out myself   they did tell me to put a snap disk on the supply pipe and have it shut off the blowers when > it is out of wood/ u were late in filling >so as  to not keep blowing cold air on a non extant fire  -thus cooling the water/boiler even more...

I guess I could figure it out myself,but I've been waiting for my Aqua-Therm to die so I could replace it with something more efficient. So i don't care to spend too much time or money on this boiler. By the way, did you know Aqua Therm had a Eco one upgrade that was claimed to up efficientcy before they went under. It replaced the baffle and added another blower to the door that looked like they were trying to burn the wood gas above the fire. They wanted like $500.00 for this upgrade. To rich for my blood.

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »

Forced air is what makes your stove efficient.

Burning with a natural draft would be a downgrade for your stove.

atvalaska

• 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »

I guess I could figure it out myself,but I've been waiting for my Aqua-Therm to die so I could replace it with something more efficient. So i don't care to spend too much time or money on this boiler. By the way, did you know Aqua Therm had a Eco one upgrade that was claimed to up efficientcy before they went under. It replaced the baffle and added another blower to the door that looked like they were trying to burn the wood gas above the fire. They wanted like $500.00 for this upgrade. To rich for my blood.
  that's what I have........ 

atvalaska

• 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »

Forced air is what makes your stove efficient.

Burning with a natural draft would be a downgrade for your stove.
   that's what... "they say" ....the idea is to not press the hot air out the stove with 270 cfm's  of fan once the fire is burning   ...which  in turn makes the  heat stay inside longer.  I'm still learning ..but than again I have never bought something that "a man " built ...that I could not improve on ..that goes for cars, trucks ,4 wheelers snowgoes and boats !  :) .....

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 03:07:10 AM »

OK guys, follow me on this one, I'm not sure the stack temp is the right place to do this as most conventional boiler stacks are pretty dirty and true temp readings might be hard to monitor but if you used the water temp then what you are proposing is easy to do on any conventional, I think it's a great idea and may try it at home on my old Wood Booger.
  For those of you who would like to try it, this is what I would try, Place the Honeywell strap on Aqua Stat that I use (6006C-1018) on your supply line, use the R+W terminals to interrupt just the blower power wire at about 5 degrees below your set point or target temp, lets say target temp or shutoff is 185 degrees with 10 degree differential, you set the strap on at say 180, blower comes on at 175 and runs to 180 then the blower shuts off but damper stays open until target temp is reached at 185 or if there is enough load and the temp falls again to 179 then the blower comes back on.
  I think it's a GREAT IDEA, Thanks Ironwood
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 06:37:35 AM »

I like the idea! Slim, why not use a Ranco or Johnson controller instead? More easily programmable and it is cheaper then a honeywell mechanical. I have a honeywell 6006C-1018 that I use to shut off the blower if my temps drop below 160 to save the coals like you suggested but they are a little pricey AND I dont have anywhere to strap it to that is copper or metal so I had to strap mine to the Pex supply line and wrap it really good with insulation but it still registers 10 degrees below the actual temp because of the pex being a bad conductor. I would think that you could zip tie the Ranco sensor to the pex and insulate it and it would be just as accurate.
Pages: [1] 2