Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: using water  (Read 5679 times)

rosewood

• View Profile
using water
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »

is anyone losing a lot of water to steam? seems more than last year,but its been alot colder then last year .nothings changed as far as temp limits,and i have no leaks, but i bet i have added 50-70 gals this month.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: using water
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »

is anyone losing a lot of water to steam? seems more than last year,but its been alot colder then last year .nothings changed as far as temp limits,and i have no leaks, but i bet i have added 50-70 gals this month.
you dont see a leak...pressure test your underground lines that much water to steam is hard to believe?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:58:37 PM »

Im new here and own a heatmaster since 2005 my aquastat would let it get to high which in turn would boil over and loose water then it would shut stove down to 140# or something come back on and do it all over again. Unless your out there you would never no if you werent paying attention to some water on ground might want to check into that also. I solved that problem with a redi check thermometer that you would use for cooking I know whats going on out there at all times and im warm in my house worth $40.00. (lets hope its not under ground that would stink)What controls your temperatures??

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »

Im new here and own a heatmaster since 2005 my aquastat would let it get to high which in turn would boil over and loose water then it would shut stove down to 140# or something come back on and do it all over again. Unless your out there you would never no if you werent paying attention to some water on ground might want to check into that also. I solved that problem with a redi check thermometer that you would use for cooking I know whats going on out there at all times and im warm in my house worth $40.00. (lets hope its not under ground that would stink)What controls your temperatures??

good point! i missed the obvious
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »

I think a leak in the door would do the same thing on my stove??? depends on what you set the temp control at and if air is still available would over heat, what do you think willyG that could happen right?? I would get a redicheck thermometer and when the stove is set to shut off and does and the temp continues to rise alot then something might be going on.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »

What brand stove do you have? It can leak inside and the fire boils away the water as it comes out so you don't see it.

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

I hope your wrong, look at shark bites ect. I know when I filled my water level to maximum it didnt stay there when hot do to expansion when colder my float like it half way up on water level float not exactly right on. its alot like a gas gauge it shows empty but really your safe for awhile .,I dont think thats your problem but ya never know and good luck let us know what it is.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:39:48 AM »

That's a lot of water to use in a month. Check the obvious first and get an accurate read on water temps. too.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »

well thanks for responces, my furnace is a homemade with a 1200 gal tank, willie ..i have temp-psi gauge in basement at plate exchanger,runs 12psi same as it has from day one .also underground  has no fittings. it is buried in sand .not thinking its the lines. i dont see any water or ice under it. i would have to pull the side off to confirm the shark bite fittings are not leaking .and i guess it could have a leak in firebox,anything is possible. but does anyone notice more water usage in real cold temps? is my consumption realative to my capacity? meaning if a average furnace holds 300 gallons and steams off 15-20 gals a month  then maybe 4 times the capacity would be at  my water consumption? 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

if your lines run at a constant 12 psi, i am going to guess the pump is making the pressur constant. To do an accurate test you need to stop the pump and close the system and add air to it to bring it to operating pressure, then shut the air supply off and let the system stand for say something like 8 or ten hours and see if you lose pressure

you have a nice water capacity at 1200 gallons (i am thinking of adding to mine)
mines only about 150 gallons and i can honestly say that since i put my new pipes underground and after the inital filling of fresh water i have added nothing. When you first fill the tank you may have to add a little each few days untill you have bubbled out the majority of the air. But once that is completed adding water (if the stove is operating properly and not boiling it out) should be minimal.

perhaps you could also pressure test your home made water jacket as well. be carefull if you do that that you dont overpressure the tank. if yoru tank has round pipe but flat ends it will not take much pressure. I tested mine at only about 6 pounds but left the test on for 24 hours

if you were to wait for a nice warm day perhaps you could go without a fire for a while, clean the stove out good and use the low pressur test and see if you see any leak inside the stove?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »

good points,may be waiting for spring before i get to that.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »

well ,here's a update. found the leak,where i welded the back cap of the stainless tank together.only did one pass on the outside of tank...biting me in the a$$ now. one good thing is i can drain tank in spring ,climb inside through hatch,..i was thinking then!..weld the inside seam ,like i should of done before. another spring project i don't have time for.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »

well ,here's a update. found the leak,where i welded the back cap of the stainless tank together.only did one pass on the outside of tank...biting me in the a$$ now. one good thing is i can drain tank in spring ,climb inside through hatch,..i was thinking then!..weld the inside seam ,like i should of done before. another spring project i don't have time for.
well now at least you can sleep well knowing it is something cheap to fix
happy heating
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »

You have a hatch big enough for you to get into the water jacket?  :o  :thumbup:
Do you have a picture of your boiler posted here somewhere? 

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 07:08:17 AM »

I think rosewood built his stove. Glad you found problem atleast its an inexpensive fix.
Pages: [1] 2