Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: hanging heater size  (Read 1832 times)

Farmer85

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
hanging heater size
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »

I have been trying to size the heater for my garage and getting mixed answers. My shop is built on the side of my big barn. It is 18x40 and insulated fairly well on the walls. The ceiling is 12' with open rafters and aluminum backed foam under the tin. so the ceiling isn't the greatest for insulation. 10x10 overhead door insulated. The temps I would heat it down to would be about 10 outside and would like to get it about 60 inside. Normally any hotter and I cant work. Most of the time I just want to keep it above freezing like 50. Right now I have a hot blast indoor forced air stove in there and it will burn the paint off the walls. A small salamander will heat it up in 30 minutes easily from 20 to t shirt. SO the best I can see a 50k btu hanging heater to my stove should get me by? What do you guys think before I pull the trigger
Sullivan Mo
Earth rancher 365
Stihl ms250,ms260pro,ms290,ms034,ms460
Skidsplitter,gas powered splitter and shiny mall

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: hanging heater size
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:58:28 PM »

I really don't know how to size it, but if you go oversize and use a thermostat to either start/stop the flow or the fan, it won't make a big difference.  OTOH, if you normally keep it unheated when you're not working in there and only want it heated when you are in there, then maybe using the salamander to bring it up to temp inside and a hanging unit heater to maintain while you're in there is the best plan. 

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 06:47:06 AM »

I have a 50k in my basement on a t-stat that I put on my return supply line.T-stat turns my fan on and off. It throws decent heat but I wouldn't think that it would be nearly enough for a shop. I would go 100k with a line volt t-stat and you should be happy. Got a really good price on mine from e-bay

SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »

Get a size bigger than you decide you need, make sure it has a multiple speed fan, with a larger size you can run the fan on a lower speed, reduce the noise considerably and still get good heat.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 06:49:02 AM »

I agree, go bigger than you think you need.  Z-Supply builds an awesome unit heater, I've installed a few of them. It sounds like your building is hard to heat.  I would go with a 24" if it were me.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter