Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Let's see some shelters over you OWB..  (Read 2946 times)

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
Let's see some shelters over you OWB..
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:40:58 AM »

I'm thinking about building a roof over my OWB to keep everything out of the weather. Only problem is my yard is sloped. Can you guys post pics of your setups so I can get a better idea of what I want. I want to store some wood under it and definitely coal. I'm thinking maybe 3 sides with a gap toward the top to let smoke out? Thanks in advance..
Michael West
Central Ohio

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
Re: Let's see some shelters over you OWB..
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:22:59 AM »

I have searched here and alot of the pics were removed.. Thanks
Michael West
Central Ohio

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 06:53:42 AM »

Yea there used to be some good pictures on here.  I think there was actually a dedicated thread for pictures at one time.  I have been looking at car ports.  I want one with 3 sides on it.  I don't think I'll cover the stove though, just my firewood and coal.  I had a quote for $950 installed for a 24 x 18 with 3 sides.  It didn't sound like a bad price to me.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:56:03 AM »

I was looking at carports, like the all metal approach being around fire and all, problem is I can't place pallets of wood thru the side then, could place it in from the front, but then would have to drive the forklift over the heated sidewalk all the time.

I'm going to built a shed/roof over the next one, but will use metal shingles, then place barn siding on the underside to protect the wood and keep birds out, any other exposed wood will be clad in metal flashing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:58:00 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

rt014

• Training Wheels
  • Essex County, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »

I'm going to have a '5 bay' car port built this year using cedar posts.  I wasn't planning to have any sides on it.  Four of the bays will be used for wood storage and one of the bays will be left open to drive through, park under or store some stuff.  I'm still looking for ideas, but that's what I'm thinking so far.  I don't think I want to cover the OWB based on the amount of smoke that comes out the door sometimes when feeding. 

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:20:23 AM »

Here is my setup.  Works great.  I have room to wheel barrow my wood from my shed under the roof over my boiler on either side of my boiler so I don't have to worry about the snow shedding off the metal roof.  I can fit about 15 cords in the back shed and a cord or so at the boiler.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:04:10 AM by Belknap »
Gilford NH

dirtdigger

• OWF Brand: wooddoctor
  • OWF Model: extra large
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »

I can't find any insurance company that will insure any building, even a shelter if I have any form of "natural fuel" furnace in it, most even have a set distance I need to stay away from any building or it voids my insurance on those buildings as well.

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »

No pic but have a 12*20 carport from menards over mine set a little off center, can store wood on both sides if I ever get that much accumulated. No snow or rain while you are loading is nice.
North Central Ohio

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »

I can't find any pictures of the setup at my old house, but I sunk 6 poles in the ground and made a 12x24 pole shelter.  I used 2x8's and made real rafters and put ribbed metal roofing on it.  It had a 12' clearance from the lowest point of the roof to the ground so I could back a M105 trailer full of firewood under it with my deuce and a half.  I had two trailers and I would fill up an empty one while the other one was being used to fuel the boiler.  That way, my wood currently being burned was always under cover and off of the ground.  The reason I went with the trailer was because my boiler sat just downhill of a field and it all drained right past my boiler, so putting wood on the ground was pointless.  Also, wood on the trailer meant I could sweep out all of the dust/bark into a small metal can and toss it into the boiler to burn too.  Literally, no mess on the ground whatsoever. 

This new house, I'm going to use a metal carport for shelter.  I'm putting all of my wood on pallet crates and I'll use my tractor to move them around.  Two pallets of wood under the carport, all of the rest out on a gravel pad away from the boiler waiting to be moved under the cover for burning.