Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Has anyone received complaints about smoke  (Read 2820 times)

cooch

Has anyone received complaints about smoke
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:45:05 PM »

Just wondering if anyone on here has had a complaint voiced about the smoke from your boiler? Most all of my neighbors have some sort of wood burning heat.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone received complaints about smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »

my nearest neighbour is about 1000 feet away and is my local township office..mayor and all...i try and burn only good wood..if i got junky stuff (such as pallets from my work) i burn them at night or on weekends when they ain't there
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

unaslob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:46:54 PM »

they adopted an ordiance in my township just prior to my install stating that you had to have a minimum of 5 acres (check), place at least 100' from any structure, including your own (nocheck), and chimney height to nearest roofline (nocheck).  After reading this ordinance carefully... there was only mention of outdoor wood boiler. So I called my zoning officer and told him that I wanted to but an owb up and he started listing all the rules and regs.. after he was done I asked him well what if I burned coal...and there was silence...after a few moments he said "well there is nothing here about coal burning" and I asked him so what are the rules and he stated it was the same any outdoor structure... 10' from any building!!!  no property rules, no chimney restrictions...and the best part is... I still burn wood for part of the year anyway...  there are developments in our area that the houses are packed pretty close and after burning wood for a bit I can understand the need for the ordinace... if I had a neighbor that had one of these 40' from my house and the wind carried it to my bedroom...i would be pissed. 

I dont understand the chimney requirements anyway.. how would one accomplish this with a 2 story home nearby???? you would have to get wires to support it..

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »

i load mine around 10 oclock pm so when it fires the heaviest smoke cycle is at late enough. i don't load it till the next night,burns real clean after the first cycle.  how about adding a 500gal water storage tank?  it would cut down on cycle times and increase burn length resulting in cleaner/hotter fire.

dirtryder

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:30:22 AM »

My HE5000 Wood Doctor smokes LESS than my neighbors chimney in his house. He burns wood in a wood stove. We are lucky though, on 5 acre minimum lots in the "neighborhood" evryone burns wood. We have my Wood Doctor, a CB and the rest standard in house stoves. Only time we see smoke is those mornings and damp type days when it holds towards the ground, and most of that is from the house chimneys.