Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking to buy OWB  (Read 6788 times)

dirtryder

Re: Looking to buy OWB
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »

I have a Wood Doctor HE 5000 Gassifier OWB and it is great. Like others have said, if you have access to and don't mind firewooding.....you can't beat them. I heat 3000sqft home via 2 forced hot air (propane) heaters, keep my hot tub @ 104 degrees, all DHW, and a 1000 sqft pole barn with in floor radiant heat. I love the unit I have but the only thing is that I should have gone up one size (HE 8000) for my application. I don't have a problem with heating, I just can't physically put in enough wood to get over a 8 hr burn time when temps are below 20. A full load for me is a 2 wheeled wheelbarrow, 8.something  cuft  slightly heaped with 20" logs.  Not really a BIG issue, but would be nice to go longer before refill. My neighbor has a CB and gets 12 hr burn times but his loads are 3X bigger than mine. It is true that the Gasser uses less wood, but you have to "learn" (which is not hard at all) how to run it. The CB's you just fill with LOTS of wood and walk away. I will state that my Wood Doctor gasser only smokes when adding fuel and for about 1 min when the fan comes on, very clean machine. My BIL has a Mohoning which heats 2 large homes and his pool. It is a HUGE unit, heats LOTS of water, and SMOKES like a train.........all day. Good thing he lives in the woods.
http://wooddoctorfurnace.com/converter.html
Pages: 1 [2]