Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking to buy OWB  (Read 6738 times)

Iceman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Looking to buy OWB
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »

I'm heating a 2240 sq ft house that was built around 1880. I use an insert that will burn about 3 1/2 hours whitch means I get up once a night to put wood on it. I use my 19 yr old propaine furnace as a back up. I called for propaine yesterday it's $3.40/ gal. Ouch! I have used about 250 gal so far this winter.  I can only get the main living area to about 58 deg during the day. unless I want to crank the furnace, but I figure I could burn money cheaper. I have been looking at OWB for about a year now. Information overload.

Finally my question: can anyone recomend a brand?
Money plays a role I've looked at CB they seem costly. Looked at shaver look good. Any issues? I've also looked at Houser welding. Any thoughts? Other brands people like?
Matt
Husqavarna 455 rancher
Husqavarna 305
Blaze King insert

yoda

• View Profile
Re: Looking to buy OWB
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »

I have a Shaver 290 and am happy with it after making a few modifications, In my opinion the Shaver is poorly insulated with no insulation on the bottom, but if you are a little handy, more insulation can be added fairly cheaply, Also if they still come with the cheap thermostat, a digitall auquastat is a huge improvement (aprox. $75)

Whatever brand you buy, my biggest piece of advice would be to go 2 sizes bigger than what they recommend, With possibly the exception of CB, from what I've read they are about the only company that size their boilers correctly.Soooo, knowing what I know now, CB probably isn't overpriced when you take that into consideration.

Northern MN

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:55 PM »

I also have a shaver 290 .  Will heat up to 7,000 sq. ft.  as per shaver . I agree with yoda  you will need to go at least two sizes bigger. Shaver works good and the hot water set up is perfect.  Give me a call if you want and i can help you out with so more info.    Russ   443-907-7455
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

tmielke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »

I am in the same boat as you and have been doing a lot of research.    Contact Blaine at www.woodboiler.us  No hype or outrageous claims.  I am leaning in this direction for my OWB for next winter.

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:44 AM »

I've been heating with a CB for the past two years. Have not had to by propane since. If you don't mind spending some time in the woods it a great way to save some money. Not to mention keeps the house at a steady 74 degrees. I looked at several diffrent types of stoves before buying a CB. I went with a CB becasue the dealer is only 15 minutes up the road.
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV

unaslob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »

what kind of heating do you have now ie. forced hot air, radiators, baseboard, radiant, ect.  it is important to know..  my father runs wood with a natures comfort 175 for about 2000 sqft but he uses radiant heat in the floors... can run water temps around 130 and get great heat... I have a 3500 sqft home and a small office that i heat with an ncb-250, when i used wood, it works like a charm...coal not so much...  the natures comfort is a great wood burner... wood that is.  their prices were reasonable i thought.   i have fin-type baseboard and radiators and require higher water temps.. 160 min to be effective, 180 even better but not necessary. 

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 07:00:59 AM »

I have a NCB-175 heating 3600sq ft. w/domestic hot water. Heat basement to 65-70 house to 74. If you don't mind spending time to get wood OWB is a great way to heat your home, sure beats propane or oil bill. If i lived farther north I would probably have bought 250. Better to have one to big than not big enough.

dgohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:35:52 AM »

I would stay away from anything made by Global Hydronics, Mine just developed major leaks, company will not honor warranty - I wrote the BBB of Canada as I wish others would that I have read about that have had problems. Just spent last 4 days cleaning up all their welds and putting on 33 lbs. of SS wire to hold me over until I can build my own. All the research that I have done it sounds like Central Boiler is the best one out there. Definetly do your research and get all warranty in wording to detail of coverage.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »

after building a furnace,and reading all the post about diff furnaces, i would consider having a welding shop build me one. only because you can over size your material ,insulation, etc. i think water capacity and insulation are the key to efficiency. i really dont think it would cost any more,if you did some work yourself , insulation , shed. i think the payoff would be in the long term.

Iceman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »

what kind of heating do you have now ie. forced hot air, radiators, baseboard, radiant, ect.  it is important to know..  my father runs wood with a natures comfort 175 for about 2000 sqft but he uses radiant heat in the floors... can run water temps around 130 and get great heat... I have a 3500 sqft home and a small office that i heat with an ncb-250, when i used wood, it works like a charm...coal not so much...  the natures comfort is a great wood burner... wood that is.  their prices were reasonable i thought.   i have fin-type baseboard and radiators and require higher water temps.. 160 min to be effective, 180 even better but not necessary. 
I have forced air I was not awaire that the delivery system for the heat plays a role in what size OWB I should get.
Thank you to everybody's input. I have 25 acres and plenty of friends with land so getting wood is not a problem. I've used about 3 cords so far this winter in my insert. That's also running my furnace.
Has anyone looked at houserwelding.com. A local welder who is making OWB. One drawback I see is they have no ash pit/pan. I would need to let it burn out to clean ashes. Would this be a big deal? The price is right, and I like supporting local economy. However I want to buy the right unit the first time.
Thanks again for everyones help!
Matt
Husqavarna 455 rancher
Husqavarna 305
Blaze King insert

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 07:22:26 AM »

I dont think shoveling some ashes once a month would be a problem at all.  Make sure the welder uses a thick gauge steel and i would order a big door . 24x24 at least.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

Couple things about their boilers that I noticed (good, bad or indifferent)....

* says on web site that fire box is 1/8", where as a lot of bigger name brands are 1/4"
* door appears to be very close to ground.... tough on back when loading.... may have to raise the unit somehow
* how thick is water jacket, and it must not go under the fire box w/ door so low
* no ash pan = no problem.... a lot of them don't have ash pans
* cheap price
* local to you

With not much thought into it, those are some of my first thoughts.

I would love to have one local built.... at least you know where to go to get help if something goes wrong rather than playing phone tag with some distant company!
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

unaslob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »

you would need to be an umpa-lumpa to load that thing... loading that thing that low will get old fast.   if you put it up on a couple of blocks that would not be unreasonable... it would be important though if you do lift it up to insulate the bottom.  Since it is a small place that is building it I am willing to bet you can ask to make some modifications that would only slightly affect the price..

markc

• Training Wheels
  • coalman 400,000 stoker,coal,pellets,biomass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »

I CAN SELL YOU A HOMESTEADER IV WILL HEAT 5000 SQ FT 250,000 BTU FOR 5307.00 PLUS SHIPPING

MARKC

http://www.outdoorstokerboilersofky.com/
markc. coalman 400,000 stoker boiler
once you burnt black you never go back
http://www.outdoorstokerboilersofky.com/

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 10:04:28 AM »

I have a hawken energy he2100. I love it, this stove is not made by global. despite what has been said on this board, i have no complaints with the service or from hawken energy. when i was looking as well price was a factor. Hawken was 2500 cheaper then all the others.
Pages: [1] 2