Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fired up my new Legend today  (Read 4464 times)

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Fired up my new Legend today
« on: October 27, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »

Thanks to all that helped with my questions.  I did a self install and all went great.  I did hook up the Hot water heater to my coil in the furnace.  I already had the lines run so I will give it a try.  If it doesn't work, I will do a exchanger at the hot water heater like some of you suggested.  When I fired it up, the water in the tank was 72 degrees.  50 minutes later, the water was 180 degrees.  I came inside the house and took my heat gun and checked all the vents.  Most were 95 - 105 degrees with a couple at 110.  I only ran it for a few minutes as it was 80 degrees here today.  Tonight is suppose to drop in the 40's and stay in the 50's for a couple of days.  I plan on getting some temp readings at the return line on the heat exchanger just to see what the drop will be and I also plan on posting some pics.   One thing I would like to add is a light (maybe red) that will come on when the fan is running just so when I look out the window, I will know if it is running or not.  Any add-on suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again!

koutsman

• OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
Re: Fired up my new Legend today
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »

Jerkash,
               Hey that's great, I hope you enjoy your Legend as much as I do !!!   I think it's a great boiler!!!  Also I like your idea about the light when the blower is on. I think I might do that also .  You might want to get one of those digital thermometer's with a probe to put on your hot water lines at some point and have a read out in the house.  I have one of those and you can tell when you start to run out of wood when the temp starts to drop a little and you don't have to go outside and check it very often that way!!  You can stay in out of the weather and enjoy your heat a little longer.  So Welcome to the forum and enjoy the company!!!!!    Also where do you live??
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

jerkash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:39:25 AM »

Thanks Koutsman - I live in NC

wood nut

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 4135
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »

Hope you like your new furnace.Heres a pic of mine about 3 or 4 minutes after shutting the door.   

jerkash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »

Looking good - I filled mine up yesterday (a little less than 2/3 full) at 4pm.  Didn't add anymore until today at 4pm and I believe there was enough wood in to last to tomorrow morning.  I'm in the process of adding a light on the front top corner.  I tied the electrical line to the light into the fan line so I could sit in my house and see when the fan is running.  So when the fan is running, the light is on.  When the fan cuts off, the light goes off.  The only other idea I have for a add on is to put a lip on the inside of the firebox so when I open the firebox door, ashes won't fall out the door.  I'm gonna try and get some pics this weekend.

jerkash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »

I turned my HWH off Thursday.  As of today, (Sunday) I have plenty of hot water.  Showers, dishwasher, and washing machine running.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  We make it a point to wash all clothes in hot water and use hot water instead of cold water whenever possible to keep the 180 degree coming into the HWH.  We'll see what the next few days does.