Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MF5000 questions  (Read 9389 times)

freefour

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
MF5000 questions
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:42:55 AM »

I've been looking at a MF5000.  I have not seen in use.  I've just stopped and looked at them at the dealer a couple of times.  I want to heat about 4000-4500sq feet.

I thought I'd get some other thoughts besides the salesman's.  He only carries the standard series.  He told me that he had too many problems with the "e" series.  Looks like a pretty good unit.  Everyone I know has Hardy's and love them.  They are overpriced in my opinion. 

Questions I have:

1.  Does the pump run on demand or 24/7 on these units?

2.  Realistically how long do the pumps last?

3.  Should I get an extension stack with rain cap?  How much extra is something like that? (if you got one)  Looks to me there isn't much of an chimney on these units.

4.  Is Heatmaster the only brand that requires water testing?  Do you have to mail it to Canada?  What is the cost involved and the chemicals?  None of my Hardy friends have to do this.

5.  The thermostat on the side looks flimsy in my opinion.  Is it dependable?  I can't figure out why they don't have a cover over it to keep it out of the elements.

6.  How often do you need to empty the ash pan?  (I know it depends on how long you burn, what kind of wood, ect)  Just wondering if it's an everyday chore.  Do you have issues with embers getting though the rocker grates?

Thanks so much for all your help.  I just want to make a smart decision buying one.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: MF5000 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »

You can feel free to call me

Comparing these with a hardy is like cavalier vs Cadillac in my opinion

Heatmaster provides you the first gallon of treatment and it will last maybe 5 years, all companies basically require water testing as its the most important thing u can do to protect your investment.  Heatmaster provides you with shipping labels, shipping containers, and the bottles to send in your treatment!  How can you beat that???   You send it to north Dakota which cost like 8 bucks a year.   They also send you a reminder in the mail letting you know it's time to test
Your water!  They take a proactive stance in helping the customer instead of saying its yours you bought it.

The pumps run 24/7, they can last 8-10 years maybe more.  It is much better than having them kivk on and off like Harry, they do that because most hardy dealers is 3/4" line that's not insulated and they lose most or there heat to the ground

The Heatmaster comes with a rain cap included, a nice on at that.  There is no reason that you'd need to add pipe unless u wanted to.  No performance gains to be had

The thermostat on the side is the best one on the market, it's not flimsy and is placed there for ease of use, it doesn't get wet or anything where it is, and I've not seen one fail yet.

The shaker grates are a good feature and allow you to burn coal if you want, ashes need to be taken out with wood once every 2 weeks..

As far as the pricing, if your looking at paying 6500 for a furnace to heat 4k sq ft that's hard to beat from a top brand, the hardy h4 don't make that many btu and is usually more money. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

freefour

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »

Thanks Scott.

I just saw your video in another post.  I noticed you had an extension and a rain cap.  The ones at this dealer just have a plastic looking cap over them since they are sitting outside.  The guy never said anything it including a cap.  I did ask and he said an extension had to be installed first.  Is the one in your video what comes with them?

I'm glad to hear that the thermostat is quality.  I didn't mean to say it was cheap but it looked pretty flimsy when I was pressing on the buttons.  What all can you set with it?  Does it constantly display the water temperate?

I have never burned coal before.  There are some mines down here and I could possibly get some.  Is it good to mix it in with wood for longer burn times?  I was just planning on burning wood.  Excuse my ignorance, but do the shaker grates not work with removing the ashes from wood as well or do you have to shovel them out like Central Boiler units?

Also, can you buy parts online?  I'm afraid this dealer may disappear once I buy one.

I asked the salesmen a lot of these questions but I think he just sells them to make extra money.  He does not have one himself.   Most of the time he tells me to look at Heatmaster's website for answers.  IMO, Heatmaster's website isn't that great.  There is not a lot of information available.  I would really like to see the installation manual that comes with the unit before buying so I can see what all the contents are, ect.  Do you know where I can get it off the net?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:28:48 AM by freefour »

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »

Scott will be able to answer all your questions better.
The thermostat is a very common part and you can get it online or almost any heating contractor probably has one in their truck.
The other parts like fan and solenoid are available at Grainger if you can't get them from your dealer.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »

You can feel free to call me

Comparing these with a hardy is like cavalier vs Cadillac in my opinion
That isn't a very good comparison. A Cadillac Cimarron  was just a Cavalier with a few more options. lol

duke

• OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

Yes the ashes will go thru the shaker grates into the ash pan, you do not have to shovel them out like central boiler, I too have a buddy with a hardy and he wishes he would have went with the heatmaster, he uses quit a bit more wood than i do, and yes you can buy parts online, Im sure someone will chime in and give you some links, Im not sure how to do that.  For what its worth I've had my heatmaster for 2 years trouble free and love it.
06 Duramax
08 Polaris Ranger XP
MS 310
28 ton Swisher

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »

Where are you located?  Maybe I can help you out. 

It seems you have a lot of good questions that your dealer should have easily been able to answer.  A good dealer is veryy important no matter the brand your buying.  If you would like just give me a call this evening, I like talking stoves no matter the brand I'm very familiar with heatmaster and the company, feel free to call. My number is in my signature below. 

I'll address a few now tho, coal does give longer burn timed yes.  The shakers work with wood or coal, with wood you just give the handle a jiggle once a day and your fine ash falls into the pan.  You never have to do any shoveling or shut your stove down to clean it, it's a very user friendly system. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »

Heat Master uses a Ranko thermostat that allows you to set the water temp and the differential ( how far the temps drop before the draft fan come back on).
 The ash pan/shaker grates work well with both wood and coal. I don't think I have ever had to empty mine more than every 5 days even when I was burning very poor wood.
 Scott does make a good point, a experianced dealer is almost as important as a good furnace. For example I guarantee my furnaces to work if I install them. I just finished helping a guy today on a problem where the furnace was not working properly with his boiler. It turned out it was a problem with the existing boiler system but I went over everything until I found the problem at no cost to him.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »

Spoke with him earlier and the dealer he visited had the models that used the love controler.  Do you like those yoder?
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:05:01 AM »

No I don't care for the Love Boiler Control set up. So the dealer had 2010 model furnaces? I didn't even know they made any this year with those. Maybe I just didn't get any?
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:08:17 AM »

No I don't care for the Love Boiler Control set up. So the dealer had 2010 model furnaces? I didn't even know they made any this year with those. Maybe I just didn't get any?

I'm pretty sure they have to be 2010 models... I thought all were switched to ranco in 11
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

duke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »

bought my stove in 2010, mine has a ranco
06 Duramax
08 Polaris Ranger XP
MS 310
28 ton Swisher

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »

Dealer could have switched it or maybe they had some with ranco's then too
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 06:39:41 AM »

Duke, it would depend on when your furnace was made. Either way just be thankful that you have the Ranco. The Loves looked like a good controler but they didn't last very well. Ranco seems to do a really good job of holding up over time, I replace very few even though I have some out there that are many years old.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

duke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »

Yea I need to look to see when it was made. Is it on tag with serial number on front? I'll look when i get home from work this evening.
06 Duramax
08 Polaris Ranger XP
MS 310
28 ton Swisher
Pages: [1] 2