Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: G200  (Read 11154 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: G200
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »

You guy's really need to find someone who owns a gasifier and go take a look at it under full gasification. They are so cool to watch operate. I was a little bored at work about 6 or 8 weeks ago and I took an hour or so and built a rocket stove. They are a natural updraft gasifier. You can't believe how hot they get. After about 15 minutes of operation my infrared thermometer won't even take a reading(907*F upper limit). If you have a good, modern, conventional boiler with a lot of heat transfer area, you will cut your wood consumption by real close to half(roughly 45% in my case) with a gasifier. I agree with NCredneck about the thermal efficiencies of the old and the new ones. They all make impossible claims. When mine is under full load, it is supposed to be operating at 2000*. I've checked my exhaust temperature and it's at just over 300*. That's already a 15 percent loss. There are also many more factors involved, and in my mind the most important one would be boiling out the moisture present in the wood. I don't remember the numbers, so I'll apologize in advance, but I think a pound of wood contains about 8500 BTU's(dry). At 20% moisture it takes around 17 or 18% of the available BTU's to boil out the water. Even if we say that number is 15% and you tack on another 15% going up the exhaust, in my book that puts you down to about 70% at best. That's a far more realistic as far as I'm concerned.

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »

I agree with ya'll that most wood furnace companies greatly exaggerate the efficiency of their furnaces.   If I had to simply guess the old style furnaces (firebox without grates, air intake in the door, exhaust basically going straight out the chimney) run around 45%-55%. The newer furnaces ( grates, air in from bottom and top, bypass system to cool exhaust) run from 65%- 70%. Most of your gasifiers are going to be in the 70% to 85% range. The problem with the gasifiers is that the rating system used by the EPA was found to be inaccurate. Under that system companies could reach more than 100% efficiency which is impossible. So we still don't really know exactly what kind efficiency these gasifiers are running.   
 From my experience with the furnaces I sell I can get close to twice the burn time out of the G200 gasifier compared to  the most inefficient furnace I have ever burned. I have not burned one of our HE models, however my father-in-law did heat his old farm house with one last year. From my estimations the HE models will us maybe 10% more wood then the gasifier. The advantage of the HE is that it will burn junk wood better, it will burn coal, and it is much easier to clean. The gasifier doesn't produce much ass but it is harder to clean. About once a week I clean out the tubes with the brush theat came with the furnace. I then scrape any ash out of the secondary burn chamber. I wouldn't have to do this every week but I have noticed it is most efficient when everything is kept clean.   With the HE model you just pull out the ash pan and dump the ash every few weeks and every few months run a hoe through the upper bypass to knock out any ash buildup.
 I don't want to discourage anyone from buying at a gasifier. They seem to be the best furnaces on the market today. What concerns me is that so many people start neglecting their furnace after the newness wears off, say maybe a year or so. You can't do this with a gasifier. If you let ash build up in the secondary burn chamber you start blocking the air flow and that just kills your secondary burn. I guess what I am saying is that if you are the type of person who does a good job at maintaining equipment you are an ideal candidate for a gasifier. If you are looking for something to throw wood in once a day buy a traditional furnace.   
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

NCredneck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »

I agree with ya'll that most wood furnace companies greatly exaggerate the efficiency of their furnaces.   If I had to simply guess the old style furnaces (firebox without grates, air intake in the door, exhaust basically going straight out the chimney) run around 45%-55%. The newer furnaces ( grates, air in from bottom and top, bypass system to cool exhaust) run from 65%- 70%. Most of your gasifiers are going to be in the 70% to 85% range. The problem with the gasifiers is that the rating system used by the EPA was found to be inaccurate. Under that system companies could reach more than 100% efficiency which is impossible. So we still don't really know exactly what kind efficiency these gasifiers are running.   
 From my experience with the furnaces I sell I can get close to twice the burn time out of the G200 gasifier compared to  the most inefficient furnace I have ever burned. I have not burned one of our HE models, however my father-in-law did heat his old farm house with one last year. From my estimations the HE models will us maybe 10% more wood then the gasifier. The advantage of the HE is that it will burn junk wood better, it will burn coal, and it is much easier to clean. The gasifier doesn't produce much ass but it is harder to clean. About once a week I clean out the tubes with the brush theat came with the furnace. I then scrape any ash out of the secondary burn chamber. I wouldn't have to do this every week but I have noticed it is most efficient when everything is kept clean.   With the HE model you just pull out the ash pan and dump the ash every few weeks and every few months run a hoe through the upper bypass to knock out any ash buildup.
 I don't want to discourage anyone from buying at a gasifier. They seem to be the best furnaces on the market today. What concerns me is that so many people start neglecting their furnace after the newness wears off, say maybe a year or so. You can't do this with a gasifier. If you let ash build up in the secondary burn chamber you start blocking the air flow and that just kills your secondary burn. I guess what I am saying is that if you are the type of person who does a good job at maintaining equipment you are an ideal candidate for a gasifier. If you are looking for something to throw wood in once a day buy a traditional furnace.

Lol at Yoder's gassifier producing ass..... I was thinking, dang gotta get me one of those....got a good chuckle!

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:55 PM »

LOL, that was an unfortunate mistake. :)
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »

LOL, that was an unfortunate mistake. :)
How was it that you made that mistake,and not me? That is something that I usually do. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks one way but types the other. I read that twice this morning, but never caught it.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter
Pages: 1 [2]