Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wiring a 165  (Read 4456 times)

wink

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Wiring a 165
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:44:03 AM »

I am a new OWB owner and recenlty purchased a Shaver 165. I am disappointed to say the least. It looks like a ninth grade shop class built the thing.

Anyhow, the book is not clear on how to hook up a second thermostat. Can someone please help. I have a six wire digital thermostat and I am wanting to set a second thermostat next to it; I purchased a honeywell (heat only) to run the blower when needed.

Do I jump wires from the existing thermostat to the new one? and if so which ones?

also the manual says to run the black wire from the 12/3 to the blower in my furnace; which terminal do i connect to in the furnace??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bill

Ridgekid

Re: Wiring a 165
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:51:21 AM »

That's a common question on here. (thermostat wiring). What heating system do you currently have?  Remember, you don't want to disable your current heating system as it will be your backup in case of a OWB problem.

For example,I have a heat pump for backup. It was wired with a aquastat that determines if the heat pump or just the furnace fan should kick on. The temperature of the OWB water has to be greater than 160* for just furnace fan.

Anyway, one of our professional members will be along shortly to give you a hand.

Welcome to the site!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:03:18 AM by Ridgekid »

wink

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:27:03 AM »

i have a heat pump.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:49 AM »

Welcome to the site wink
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »

If you have a heat pump I don't think you need that second thermostat. You need a setup like mine, a AQUASTAT.

See the little gray box on my HX? (hope this works)

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=30

That's the aquastat. It's like a on/off switch for the heat pump only. If thermostat calls for heat the aquastat determines if just the fan or the heat pump/fan should come on. That's determined by the set point of the aquastat. (mine is set for OWB temp of 160*)

Unfortunately, I don't know what terminals they connected it to inside the air handler.

EDIT: I don't think this arrangement works on variable speed systems!!!!!  (mine isn't variable speed)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:13:40 AM by Ridgekid »

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:54 AM »

Welcome to the site Wink.  And I would personally like to welcome you to the world of Shaver OWB.   :bash:  I will not go into details about my escapeds as you can read them here on the forum.

You are quite correct in that their owner's manual is somewhat vague.  I had a professional heating/cooling shop wire up my t-stats, as I wanted it done correctly.  Just so happens one of the repair guys owns an OWB.

I have connected to my house furnace a "strap-on" Honeywell aqua-stat t-stat that has its own relay that somehow along the line gets connected to the house t-stat.  This works very well.  We went this way because I did not want another ugly t-stat next to the programmable one up stairs in the great room...ok, actually my wife did NOT want an ugly round t-stat on the wall next to the square programmable t-stat.

Just looking at it, I'm not certain how it's wired.  One of the other experts will chime in here and get you going.  Everyone on here who owns a Shaver swears that by the time you get the kinks worked out, they're great units.  Mine was ugly too, but I told them to take it back...and they did, but along the way I also upgraded to the 250.

Hang in here Bill....and welcome to the site.  I actually spend more time on here reading and learning than I do on my hot rod site.  by the way, where do you reside?

Lugnut

aka: Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:03:57 AM »

If you have a heat pump I don't think you need that second thermostat. You need a setup like mine, a AQUASTAT.

See the little gray box on my HX? (hope this works)

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=30

That's the aquastat. It's like a on/off switch for the heat pump only. If thermostat calls for heat the aquastat determines if just the fan or the heat pump/fan should come on. That's determined by the set point of the aquastat. (mine is set for OWB temp of 160*)

Unfortunately, I don't know what terminals they connected it to inside the air handler.EDIT: I don't think this arrangement works on variable speed systems!!!!!  (mine isn't variable speed)

I'm pretty sure it's the yellow wire that you break with the aquastat....

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »

welcome to the site wink. i have an inground water furnace also, original heat supply, (basically a heat pump) the fan on my model runs in low speed 24/7 and would kick into higher speed when the heat pump was running (never anymore) anyway, what i did was just installed a zone valve on the line going to the heat exchanger in the furnace plenum and run it with its own thermostat. it is completely seperate from the home furnace. if your blower runs like mine this may be an option.

again, welcome and good luck with your project
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:24:31 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

wink

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »

Where does one purchase the Aquastat thermo to attach on the HX?
How much are they and does anyone know how it is wired in. I would really like to get out of mounting a second thermo in the house

Thanks for all the input fellas!!!

I have everything hooked up and wired with the exception of the "black wire" as described in the Shaver manuel going to the blower fan.

Can I go ahead and build a fire and just turn my fan on manually until a tech gets the black wire tapped into the blower. Or can someone tell me what wire I tap into in the furnace. I took the cover off the furnace and found three or four wires going to the blower none of which are black.

I have the thermo on 160 on the back of the stove. shouldn't everything else work when the water reaches that temp?

All input and help greatly appreciated!!

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »

I got both of my aquastats from Grainger. Less than 100$ each...

One is installed on the back of the boiler in a well which reads temp in the water at the stove. When the water temp drops below set point, the a-stat turns on the blower to feed air to the fire....

My other stat is a surface mount, on my supply pipe before it goes into the first heat exchanger. It is wired into my indoor air handler(furnace). The yellow wire from my main thermostat is tied to the a-stat.

When the water temp drops below set point, the yellow is made, and the outdoor unit kicks on...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:36:00 PM by Airgap »

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »

Where does one purchase the Aquastat thermo to attach on the HX?
How much are they and does anyone know how it is wired in. I would really like to get out of mounting a second thermo in the house

Thanks for all the input fellas!!!

I have everything hooked up and wired with the exception of the "black wire" as described in the Shaver manuel going to the blower fan.

Can I go ahead and build a fire and just turn my fan on manually until a tech gets the black wire tapped into the blower. Or can someone tell me what wire I tap into in the furnace. I took the cover off the furnace and found three or four wires going to the blower none of which are black.

I have the thermo on 160 on the back of the stove. shouldn't everything else work when the water reaches that temp?

All input and help greatly appreciated!!

Wink...check out this website: www.altheating.com and do a search for t-stats.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

gmviso

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »

I used one of these inexpensive limit switches to accomplish the same thing. I paid $14.45 plus shipping from pexsupply.com. They are probably availble from Grainger and other heating distributors locally.

http://www.pexsupply.com/White-Rodgers-3L05-10-Snap-Disc-Limit-Control-135-to-175-Degrees-F-Range-20-Degree-Differential-Open-on-Rise-14765000-p

It is adjustable from 135 to 175 degrees in 5 degree steps. I have mine set to 150 degrees.

Mounting was simple. I just took a piece of 8-32 threaded rod and bent it into a U-shape around a piece of pipe. Then I just clamped it to the pipe feeding the hot water from the boiler into the heat exchanger.

Here is a photo of my install.

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=214

Whether you use the aquastat or one of these limit switches you are going to want to interrupt the Compressor wire between the thermostat and the heat pump. While Yellow is the standard color it is possible that yours could be installed with a different wire. To be sure simply break the wire that goes to the Y1 terminal of the thermostat.
Central Boiler CL5036

Ridgekid

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 06:49:09 AM »

Like GMVISO said, your just breaking the Y1 connection from the thermostat.

I've posted everything in my gallery including connections.

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=6

NOTE: This arrangement DOES NOT disable the radiant heating strips!! If I turn my thermostat up more than 2*, the heating strips come on. Of course I try to avoid this.

Merry Christmas Wink!!