Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wiring my thermostat  (Read 2415 times)

Firechaser

• View Profile
Wiring my thermostat
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:13:53 AM »

I currently have a propane forced air furnace. I have installed a Portage and Main ML30 with a plate exchanger for hot water and a heat exchanger in the furnace duct. The only thing I need to do is wire my thermostat. Let me start by saying I am completely inexperienced with the wiring of a furnace. My current thermostat has the following: Green wire (i assume this is the fan power) Red wire with jumper to RC (this should be power) Yellow wire (should be cooling) and White wire (should be heat). So I thought I would just jump wires from the existing red and green to the new thermostat. This allows me to manually turn on the fan, but not have it turn on based on the temperature. What can I do so that the first thermostat will kick on the fan only based on temp and the second will kick on my propane furnace as it currently does with a lower temp setting? Thanks Tony
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

rhugg

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring my thermostat
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »

Take a look at my thread  http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=1064.0

I couldn't find a clear answer and figured it out my self.  To some degree it depends on the thermostat but thermostats have fairly standard marking for the terminals.  Some are much more complicated than others.  You only want to turn on the fan so I think you need the red to R and what ever hits your 'G' terminal on your existing thermostsat should also hit your 'G' on the new one.  You describe it as a green wire.  I have mine connected at the air hendler terminals but it would be the same as a jumper wire running from R and G on the old thermostat to R and G on the OWB Air Handler Thermostat.

Hope that is clear as mud

Firechaser

• View Profile
Re: Wiring my thermostat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »

I figured it out. I took the red wire r and jumped to r on the new stat. That gave me power. Then I ran a wire from w power to heat , to g on the existing stat. G being the fan. Thanks.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455