Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: wiring a 24V definate purpose contactor for OWB pump  (Read 2578 times)

jksweld

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
wiring a 24V definate purpose contactor for OWB pump
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »

Im probably the only one that uses one of these since Im behind times and my OWB is over 20 years old. I use one of these to kick my pump on thats on the OWB when the Tstat calls for heat.  I know the line side comes from the breaker box and the load side goes to the pump, but I cant remember if I need 2 24V wires or 1 coming from the house furance to make it make contact

Thanks
James

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: wiring a 24V definate purpose contactor for OWB pump
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

You will need 24 volts, it can come from either the boiler or if you have zone valves on the TT wires you will need a separate transformer
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »

no zones and don't have 24V at the boiler, mine has to come from the furnace. I think I just can bug into my 24V wire that kicks the blower fan on in the furnace. but then it wont have a cool down period. Is it necessary to have a cool down period with a water to air heat X sittin on top of my furnace?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 05:45:38 AM »

The TT terminals on the furnace are 24 volts but very low amperage, it will open and close the relay but will not give you enough amps for a zone damper,( you don't have any so you will be fine ) what I typically do is use an Argo relay, interupt the TT wires ( one wire ) by cutting it and puttig the two ends on the TT terminals on the relay, then bring the normally open terminal wire down to the blower power wire and piggyback it onto that wire ( typically there will be three of them, low med high ) your choice which one you use. As far as overheat, that is what the snap disk does, it will turn on the blower in any overheat situation rather the thermostat is calling for heat or not. I would then use an aquastat on the incoming wood boiler line to interupt the oil furnace burner motor (B-1) , that should be set at about 160,  and should be wired to break on temp rise, this will effectivly turn off the oil burner any time the wood boiler water is above 160 degrees.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »

Well I'm not going to assume you have an oil boiler, but you don't need to worry about a cool down period on your water to air heat exchanger.  Although times have changed and how your doing it is definitely different than most, it will still work.  I assume u were thinking the coil would need to cool a bit after the pump shut off but that is not necessary.  Your idea of getting 24v from the fan wire, likely labeled g will work as well.  You'll just need a relay out at the stove to kick the pump back on when fan comes on
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »

No I dont have a oil boiler, its a old taylor water furnace (I believed they called it). Water from the taylor is going thru a water to air heat exchanger setting on top of my electric furnace. Never thought bout a cool down for the coil, I was meaning heat exchanger, but its not needed. I have had this stove hooked up like this before, just couldnt remember if I needed 1 24V or 2 24V going to the coil. So if I go off the G the pump will kick on and off with the fan, just what I couldnt remember!! I dont think I need a relay like your talking about (but Im not in the business of selling then and installing them on a regular basis either). This coil makes contact when 24V comes on, making the 120V gone to pump energize, and springs back open when 24V goes off, breaking the 120V circuit gone to pump. I should have made this clearer the first time. sorry

James

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »

No I dont have a oil boiler, its a old taylor water furnace (I believed they called it). Water from the taylor is going thru a water to air heat exchanger setting on top of my electric furnace. Never thought bout a cool down for the coil, I was meaning heat exchanger, but its not needed. I have had this stove hooked up like this before, just couldnt remember if I needed 1 24V or 2 24V going to the coil. So if I go off the G the pump will kick on and off with the fan, just what I couldnt remember!! I dont think I need a relay like your talking about (but Im not in the business of selling then and installing them on a regular basis either). This coil makes contact when 24V comes on, making the 120V gone to pump energize, and springs back open when 24V goes off, breaking the 120V circuit gone to pump. I should have made this clearer the first time. sorry

James

the coil is the heat exchanger...
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »

Geez, its been a long day Scott, I read that totaly wrong. Yes I meant a cool down period for the coil, but its not needed. And the last sentence where I said the coil makes contact I meant the contactor makes contact.... Sorry

James

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »

Haha no problem

Stay warm
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697