Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bob in Pa  (Read 2215 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Bob in Pa
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »

Google: "Bob in Pennsylvania Modifys His Outdoor Boiler"
This guy more than doubled his boilers efficiency, made it smoke free, and reduced wood consumption :thumbup: This experiment has Ridgekid written all over it ;)
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Bob in Pa
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »

I first came accross Bob's article 4 or 5 years ago when I was planning my OWB build and it had an influence in the design.  I also use Bob's method for determining efficiency.  I still have lot's of room for improvement though which is why I visit this forum.  Lots of smart people to learn from here too.
Muskoka, Ont

Bill G

• OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »

Hey Marty and friends,

Sort of reminds me of the inside of my Quadrafire 4200 free standing stove.  It doesn't smoke bad and is good on fire wood.

Wonder how it has worked out for Bob, as it's been a few years since he wrote that report??  Smart guy there, trying to capture and burn the gases from his wood, thus being a more efficient appliance.

Marty, you are right on track about Ridge, I'll bet the wheels will be turning on this one!!  Go get 'em Ridge!
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »

You guys are too funny! I could probably impersonate him. My first name is Robert and I live in PA. Only thing is I don't go by Bob, it's Rob.

Looks like I got some reading to do.........    :bash:

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »

Didn't he, in essence, convert his unit into a gassafier?  Seems like this is thier basic principal; to burn the wood and then re-burn the gasses.

Ridgekid

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »

Some good lessons can be learned off that website. I watched the videos and came away with how to load the firebox based on weather conditions. The North South loading is perfect for this time of year, but the East West sounds like a great idea in early fall or late spring.

I already pull the hot cinders/ashes towards the door. To me that was obvious to get the cinders to burn to ash.

NOW- As far as "BOBS" idea. Sorry guys, I'm not lining my 5036 with firebrick. I really think "bob" did a great job and appreciate him sharing his results. I do believe the main reason was to reduce smoke, but making it more efficient was a bonus.  I have no neighbors to bother with my OWF.

Now, he did have me thinking about a firebrick wall about one foot forward of the exit baffle. But then again he did mention a hotter firebox gave his solenoid a short lifespan. I'll just leave well enough alone.

I would like to add my OWF smokes a lot less than my indoor one did. I'm afraid that's going to be the extent of my contribution to "less smoke"  Besides that, I like what one of our members said: " If you see smoke, it ain't broke!!"  or was that on the back of a diesel pick-up truck?  lol

Bill G

• OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »

Ridge,

Now don't be counting firebricks in your sleep tonight!

Naw, I do agree with you, why mess with something if it ain't broke.  Much higher working temps just seems like you would be taking away some of the life of the furnace.  And you could always use your warranty paper to start the first fire! 

Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:42 AM »

Did anyone watch the videos on that website? The one on the bottom of the page peaked my interest and I'm thinking there is some truth in it. Although they were referring to "indoor" furnace, I seem to be getting longer times between re-stockings. I'm looking forward to stacking wood "East/West" in the spring to see if it works.

http://woodheat.org/wood-heat-videos.html