Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frequency of cleanings - Opt. 250  (Read 6884 times)

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Frequency of cleanings - Opt. 250
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »

Last year was the first year I had an OWB.  I cleaned it out well every Sunday and many days it didn't look that dirty to me.  This year, things were busy when I first fired it up so I wasn't as particular about cleaning it.  I have taken the motto, if its gassifying and not blowing much/any smoke I will just leave it be.  I will be cleaning it this afternoon when I get home and it this will make only the 3rd time this burning season. 

So what I would like to know, is how often folks clean theirs and is it ok to go till when it tells me to clean it (basically when it starts puffing smoke)?

Oh and I have been burning mostly nice and dry yellow pine with a little dry oak oak and gum mixed in.

karlk

• View Profile
Re: Frequency of cleanings - Opt. 250
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »

I clean mine every 2 weeks. It doesnt need it, I do it out of habit and if I get busy and skip a week I know its ok,

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »

I clean mine out every week.  I find that if I go a lot longer the ash buildup is so high it plugs up the nozzle and the bottom chamber is full and blowing ash into the tubes.

I'm burning a full load of elm every 12 hours so the quantity of wood going through the stove is pretty high.

Of course I live only an hours drive from the actual "Portage and Main" that the boilers were named after, so it's not exactly balmy weather right now.  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:00:02 PM by jreimer »
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »

I try to clean mine every weekend. If I don't have time to do a thorough cleaning, I'll at least pull the ashes out of the secondary burn chamber.

I had a horizontal tube plug up on me once after waiting two weeks between cleanings. It took me about 10 minutes to get the dumb thing poked through. Pulling ashes out of the lower chamber takes less than a minute.

One of the guys up here only cleans his every third weekend. He's had 3 of the six tubes plug on him in the past, but he claims it's easy to clean them out. He's heating a 2500 sq. ft. home and a 32' x 40' barn, so he goes through a lot of wood too.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »

It seems like i spend more time cleaning this thing than i do sleeping. if i had some TNT today i would have used it, one stick in each boiler tube would have done it. Indoor gasser with storage next year? looking good.
Western Maine

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:53:54 PM »

It seems like i spend more time cleaning this thing than i do sleeping. if i had some TNT today i would have used it, one stick in each boiler tube would have done it. Indoor gasser with storage next year? looking good.

Wow...  That's not good... 

Indoor boilers are nice, I plan on putting one in my garage if I ever get around to building a house
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »

Wow, it looks like some P&M gasser owners are finally owning up to the high frequency cleaning that is required on the 20 horizontal exchanger tubes of their 150 year old proven technology. It's inevitable that they will require regular cleaning with that design. It's a natural "catch area". Horses are also 150 year old proven technology, they require a lot of maintenance and clean up to. Much more that todays modern motor vehicle technology. This is why I preferred the horizontal design CB uses. I clean my exchange tubes in my E2400 once a season with very little build up. I think their 2300's required more frequent cleaning, but they changed the design. They have even added removalble side air channel panels for easier cleanup access.  Bottom line, if you are going to burn wood outdoors or indoors, these units and fireboxes require regular cleaning and maintenance. If you don't do it, you will have problems. Corrosion, plugged air passages, etc. Some will require more work than others. If you are unwilling to do the maintenance, you may be better off just "paying the man" and this way of heating may not be for those individuals.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »

All true boiler man, but I know lots of folks who have pro series empyre boilers, same style heat exchangers and they don't have that issue.  My buddy has a pro 400 on over 8,000 sq ft, he's cleaned the, twice since october and said he's gonna look at them again in a few weeks lol.

Whatever reason there havin this issue, is bigger than simply the style of exchanger
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:48:47 AM »

Cleaning the P&M only takes about 15 min, every 2 weeks.
I dont think thats bad .I had a indoor boiler with storage before the P&M and it had its own issues, any wood boiler will have its own faults. ,
When you think how hard you would have to work to pay for oil, cleaning a boiler every 2 weeks doesnt seem to bad !

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »

I do agree its not bad if your on a weekly schedule, was really pi***d yesterday to find after only 5 days burning the airbox was stuffed with creosote and the horizontal tubes were HALF plugged. My wood is not unreasonable either ranging from 22 to 27 percent. They run ALOT better when its cold and overnite lows arent 35.

Today is another day
Western Maine

jrider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »

After opening it up, I realized it wasn't that dirty.  There was ash buildup at each end of the horizontal tubes but the tubes themselves were pretty darn clean.  There was more work to be done with the shopvac than there was with the wire brush.  The wood I am using this year is considerably drier than the wood I used last year and I believe this to be the major factor in less frequent cleanings - for me at least.

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »

Like I said earlier, I clean mine once a week but that is just dry ashes.  Takes 15 minutes to brush out the tubes, scoop out the bottom chamber and the burn chamber.  I did have more of a creosote issue building up in the tubes earlier in the year, but I believe this was due to lots of idling because of warmer weather.  I was worried about how I was going to keep the tubes clean, but once winter hit, the creosote dried up and flaked out of the tubes.

I think if any of these units idles a lot due to warm weather they are going to have buildup issues.  I see this whenever we have a few days of warmer weather.  When the overnight temperatures start dropping to -20 and colder, the unit really comes into its own.  I don't think that oversizing is a good idea with these gassers.  I'm starting to really believe that right-sizing or storage is the way to go to get good clean burns and minimize creosote buildup.  I think a 12 hour load is about right.

If you are getting tubes plugged up I would suspect that you are having far too much idle time and not enough burn time to run cleanly, regardless of how dry your wood is. 

My wood is not the driest it could be, but it still burns fairly cleanly if the heat load is high enough.  I have also found that if the wood is too dry and split too small, it will burn dirty as well as it chokes itself and doesn't gassify correctly.  It can't get enough air to burn all of the gasses coming off of the wood.

It's taken me a few months, but I think I'm starting to figure it out.  :thumbup:
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »

I think the secrete to any gasser is the amount of wood you put in.I burn mine in the summer for domestic hot water and dont have an issue.
I only load enough wood for a 12 hr cycle ,for me thats between 6 and 10 small splits depending on the weather.
I had an indoor gasser with storage before the P&M and that was similar, you only started a fire big enough to top off the storage.
The indoor gasser had turbulators and tubes that also needed cleaning, go on hearth.com and see what them boys go thru with their boilers. 
As far as Im concerned the P&M is the simplest boiler out there once you get the hang of it. I have never filled my boiler with wood or tried to go 24 hours on one load. Even with storage you have a limit to the temp that you run off of, I ran mine from 195 down to 140 before I would build a fire, putting in only enough wood to bring the temp back to 195

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »

Kinda ironic you mentioned only putting in what it needs, that was what our training focused on at empyre this year.  However, the xt series don't like to be run cleaned, kinda backwards to most, and I finally discovered that the more jacked up I ran it, the better it did

But your right most gassers don't like over filling,
There is far more adjustments on portage and main though compared to some.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:54 PM »

Wow, it looks like some P&M gasser owners are finally owning up to the high frequency cleaning that is required on the 20 horizontal exchanger tubes of their 150 year old proven technology. It's inevitable that they will require regular cleaning with that design. It's a natural "catch area". Horses are also 150 year old proven technology, they require a lot of maintenance and clean up to. Much more that todays modern motor vehicle technology. This is why I preferred the horizontal design CB uses.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt".

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter
Pages: [1] 2