Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Damper door iceing over  (Read 2585 times)

koutsman

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
Damper door iceing over
« on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »

Having big blizzard here in  Indiana everything is shut down all county roads are closed. My problem is my damper door is freezing open and shut from the snow blowing around it so bad. You can't stand to be out there long. I went out there a little while ago it was calling for the fan to kick on and the fan was froze on it, I beat on it a little and it came on but it's going to be a  terrible long night if I have to go out like that all night and that's if the fan motor doesn't go out. Anyone have any suggestions?????  Can't really hang anything on it and tie it down either.
Supposed to get to -20 below tonight!!!
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
Re: Damper door iceing over
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »

Having big blizzard here in  Indiana everything is shut down all county roads are closed. My problem is my damper door is freezing open and shut from the snow blowing around it so bad. You can't stand to be out there long. I went out there a little while ago it was calling for the fan to kick on and the fan was froze on it, I beat on it a little and it came on but it's going to be a  terrible long night if I have to go out like that all night and that's if the fan motor doesn't go out. Anyone have any suggestions?????  Can't really hang anything on it and tie it down either.
Supposed to get to -20 below tonight!!!

how about a K&N outerwear sock or something of that nature? or does that area get hot as well? just was thinking you may have one or something like that that would help repell  water and sno off but breathe? to get air just a thought out of the blue....to get your mind turning.... I wish you the best we had temps like that for couple weeks here as well. do you have a pic of the door?
Kelly

I just looked at the web site I would make a tin box to cover the blower better make it pull air in from the bottom left side so it has to come in and get sucked all the way around to blower....may have to rivet it on for temp or self tap it on....to the org. metal cover if that makes sense?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:46:25 PM by baldwin racing »
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »

what about clamping a radiant heat bulb (or incandescent bulb) in front of/under it overnight? or putting a small plug in heater right in front of it?
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:04:11 PM »

WD40!
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

koutsman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »

I thought about a heat lamp like in a hog house but, I think the blowing snow would burn the bulb out. I thought about panty hose or something but don't know about movement , I finally took a small ( I should say my wife) took a small clothes basket round and taped screen wire nylon around it and bungeed it  around the fan motor.  I also took a torch and got all the ice and snow off of it and dried it all off and then sprayed it with wd 40 so hopefully that will do the trick, don't know but will find out real soon !!!!
Kouts, Indiana
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

koutsman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »

Thanks for your help.... I will be real fortunate if I don't have to replace the motor or the solenoid or both . 
Went back out again and the damper was open but motor was'nt running so I gave it spin and it took off.

Kouts, Indiana
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »

As I just went threw hell with a bad fan motor on Jan 1 like others have mentioned to me, always keep spare parts! I took there advice. I stayed up for 32hrs straight. My fan died on me, no place open to replace it due to holidays. I went out every 45min to 1hr to open the draft door to get the stove up to temp, it sucked REAL BAD!. The only place I could find the part I needed was from my dealer and he lives 45min away. Well it was snowing pretty hard that day and night so it took me 1 hr 45min to drive one way to get the blower. It was like hitting the lottery when I got it back home and installed it. I ordered another and a solinoid for the future. I also have another pump. Dont learn the hard way like me lol.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

koutsman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:19:12 AM »

Thanks Dave,   Iv'e been on this forum long enough to know about having spare parts.   I have all spare parts but the way the wind was whipping around last night it would of did the same thing to them. The door was freezing over and the solenoid was icing up and damper was sticking open and the squirrel cage  was filling up with snow and ice and then would'nt turn on when it called for heat.  Yeah  It was a mess but thank the Lord that little laundry basket and screen and tape and bungy cord did the trick!!!! I did get a good night sleep and it's still working.
Kouts, Indiana
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »

Glad you got it straightened out! Ive had similar problems and now I try to keep a good bit of wd40 on the solenoid and fan. I go threw that stuff like crazy! Buy it by the gallons. Liquid gold!
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290