Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: how to cut a tree across a gulley  (Read 1848 times)

kc

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Mountain Man 505
    • View Profile
how to cut a tree across a gulley
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »

I have two huge trees down in my ravine and both uprooted and fell across the gulley.   One is a maple about 20" to 22" across but the other is an oak that is pushing 30" in diameter.   I had another smaller oak that snapped above ground and settled perpendicular to the ground but the trunk was only 2' or so up and I used my car jack to lift and block up the trunk as I cut it which worked well.   But that big oak is 3' to 4' off of the ground and I could use the jack close to the roots but that's about it.   How would you guys tackle a big trunk like this across a gulley?  I am thinking about notching the top of the trunk and dropping that way but I am not fond of being so close and below when that huge trunk comes down in two pieces and blocking up so high seems awkward too...

kc
Earth Mountain Man 505
Stihl MS361 - 25"
Stihl MS280 - 20"
Stihl 028 Wood Boss - 18"
Sthil MS170 - 16"
Echo CS-305 - 14"

Drivebymashing

• OWF Brand: Earth Outdoor
  • OWF Model: 305 Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Re: how to cut a tree across a gulley
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »

I had a 20 plus inch hickory fall across a creek near my house i used the winch on a truck i used to have.It worked great if i didnt have a winch or know someone with a winch i could of pulled it out in smaller pieces with a tow chain.
Husqvarna 445
Husqvarna 262xp
Husqvarna 55
2004 Corvette Z06
1971 Deuce and a half 10x10