Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ton=?cord  (Read 10836 times)

Jared43758

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
Ton=?cord
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »

I can get semi loads of good logs 95% red oak, then some hickory an white oak, delivered free for $32 a ton. I have got 14-15 ton before and ends up costing around $500 give or take $40. Can anyone give me a guess of how many cords 15 ton of green oak is? Just trying to figure a rough guess of how many cords of wood I'm getting from a semi load
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
Re: Ton=?cord
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »

http://www.csgnetwork.com/logweight.html
red oak; 1 green cord = 5700 lb
So, you pay $32/2000lb/1 ton
1 green cord = 5700lb = 2.85 ton

So you pay about;
2.85ton x $32/ ton = $91.20 for 1 green cord.
Not bad, not great.
Around here, split, stacked dry wood is $120-160/cord.

I can get semi loads of good logs 95% red oak, then some hickory an white oak, delivered free for $32 a ton. I have got 14-15 ton before and ends up costing around $500 give or take $40. Can anyone give me a guess of how many cords 15 ton of green oak is? Just trying to figure a rough guess of how many cords of wood I'm getting from a semi load

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »

15 ton = 5.26 cords
you paid $500; so about $95/ green cord.
If it's split and dried, not a bad deal.
If it's green logs, unspilt; it's less good.

Jared43758

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 01:04:18 AM »

Wow, I always thought i was getting a good deal. I always heated with a hotblast indoor stove and one semi load lasted me all winter with usually a pickup load or so left over. So for $500 a year to hear my house was pretty good. Now I'm going to get a heatmaster owb, and I hear they can use 7-10 cords a year. I plan on using some coal but I don't know how well it will work yet or how much I can mix or how much wood it'll save me. It's bituminous coal, that's all I've been using this year is coal only, got 5 ton for $325 and no cutting or spilting. I'm having good luck with it although cleaning the soot and controlling the dust and smell inside sucks. I'm sure it'll be better outside then inside.
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:57:15 AM »

It's not terrible some locations are way higher, 90 per cord of oak was the going price here last spring.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 12:32:48 PM »

I have a NCB-250 coal unit.
Bit coal in large is high in sulfur. I use anthrocite, which is more expansive but much higher BTU and no smell at all.
I have 4500sqft new well insulated house, with DHW; last year that was the worst winter in 50 years, I used
2 cords of wood, and 5.5 ton anthracite to keep the house at 75F.
I used to heat with coal inside, it is very dirty. You will like the outdoor unit, but you need shaker grates and a boiler made for coal burning.
Sometimes, I just don't have time and energy to split and haul 10 cords of wood. If I burned wood alone, I don't think 10 cords would be enough for me.
5 ton for $325 is probably very high in sulfur. KY low sulfur coal is about $100-120 / ton. I pay about the same for anthracite, but it's a special deal. For $600 keeping 4500sqft at 75 for 6 months, with little splitting, is a good deal for me. I spend more on my wood trailer and chain saws, and my time on cutting wood. If I had more time, I'd cut more wood, but right now, I have less time and I rather use more coal so I don't have to worry if  have enough seasoned wood.
I also do not have a large barn to hold 20 cords to season for this year and some for next year. I have a 12x10x6high coal bin that they just fill up - free delivery, and I don't even have to lift a shovel. I keep the 2 cords under a tarp, so it's easy for me.
Splitting 2-3 cords is enough workout for my back after years of doing it.

Wow, I always thought i was getting a good deal. I always heated with a hotblast indoor stove and one semi load lasted me all winter with usually a pickup load or so left over. So for $500 a year to hear my house was pretty good. Now I'm going to get a heatmaster owb, and I hear they can use 7-10 cords a year. I plan on using some coal but I don't know how well it will work yet or how much I can mix or how much wood it'll save me. It's bituminous coal, that's all I've been using this year is coal only, got 5 ton for $325 and no cutting or spilting. I'm having good luck with it although cleaning the soot and controlling the dust and smell inside sucks. I'm sure it'll be better outside then inside.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:39:30 PM by JDfarmer »

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »

Bit coal in large is high in sulfur. I use anthrocite, which is more expansive but much higher BTU and no smell at all.
I have 4500sqft new well insulated house, with DHW; last year that was the worst winter in 50 years, I used
I used to heat with coal inside, it is very dirty. You will like the outdoor unit, but you need shaker grates and a boiler made for coal burning.
Sometimes, I just don't have time and energy to split and haul 10 cords of wood. If I burned wood alone, I don't think 10 cords would be enough for me.
5 ton for $325 is probably very high in sulfur. KY low sulfur coal is about $100-120 / ton. I pay about the same for anthracite, but it's a special deal.

Where do you get your anthracite for the special deal?
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

Jared43758

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »

Heatmaster has good shaker grates, most everyone doesn't burn coal only even though they advertise they can. Most just seem to pile on top. I have spent a lot of time on nepacrossroads.com learning how to burn coal, if I could afford hard coal I would burn it. But for $10 for a 50 pound sack around here i would just buy pro pain. The soft coal I burn is good stuff for bituminous, I get it directly from a mine so it's cheaper. I don't mind the stink of the smoke outside, can't smell it from inside the house, what' I do mind is the dirt dust stink and cold or too Hott from being inside. That's why I'm gettin a owb
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »

I get mine for $100 per cord in log length form and that is in New Hampshire. Around here Green wood split and delivered is $200-$250 per cord.  Seasoned delivered is $250-$350 per cord. It all depends on where you live. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 08:14:21 PM »

Ive never heard nor do i know anyone that sells wood by the ton..All sold by the truck load or by the cord.. If that was case..Id want maple or ash etc ..Oak is heavy!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 08:19:57 PM »

Ive never heard nor do i know anyone that sells wood by the ton..All sold by the truck load or by the cord.. If that was case..Id want maple or ash etc ..Oak is heavy!

And you are buying water since all that wood is green.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »

And you are buying water since all that wood is green.
green wood=                                        dry wood=
ash 4200 pounds per cord                      3200
oak 5000                                              3500
hickory 5000                                         3800
soft maple 4000                                     2600
white elm 4400                                      2800
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 06:35:35 AM »

My friend brings it from PA. I do some favors for him, and he gets me 5 ton/year free delivery.
One of the PA anth  mines have a day a year when you can get anthrocite $120-150 I think. 20ton min for delivery or <20 ton pick up only.
I love to mix anthrocite with wood. There is virtually no smoke with anthrocite and lots of BTU. 5 ton lasts me 6 months with 2-3 cords of wood. For a 4500sqft house it is a great deal for me. My back is not what it used to be for splitting 10-15 cords each year, plus the wear and tear on the saw, truck, etc. I spend about $500 on the coal per year. Not bad for 6 months of heating + DHW.
Look at the PA mines if you are close.
KY coal also pretty good, and cheaper. Burns like wood thou.
Anthrocite glows like red melted glass, with blue flames. Very very very hot.

5 ton for $325 is probably very high in sulfur. KY low sulfur coal is about $100-120 / ton. I pay about the same for anthracite, but it's a special deal.

Where do you get your anthracite for the special deal?

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »

My friend brings it from PA. I do some favors for him, and he gets me 5 ton/year free delivery.
One of the PA anth  mines have a day a year when you can get anthrocite $120-150 I think. 20ton min for delivery or <20 ton pick up only.
I love to mix anthrocite with wood. There is virtually no smoke with anthrocite and lots of BTU. 5 ton lasts me 6 months with 2-3 cords of wood. For a 4500sqft house it is a great deal for me. My back is not what it used to be for splitting 10-15 cords each year, plus the wear and tear on the saw, truck, etc. I spend about $500 on the coal per year. Not bad for 6 months of heating + DHW.
Look at the PA mines if you are close.
KY coal also pretty good, and cheaper. Burns like wood thou.
Anthrocite glows like red melted glass, with blue flames. Very very very hot.

I have been using anthracite mixed for the last year or so. I agree, once dialed in its a great addition to the wood. The last 3 months I have been using almost all coal. Seems to be working great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTfBwfCPg7c
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »

rest easy u guys > this is what u would call pine... in the lower 48...... SPLIT DRY SPRUCE 300.00 A CORD, DELIVERD
Pages: [1] 2 3