Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Arctic Fox  (Read 7010 times)

gandrimp

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
  • OWF Model: SMHA (Southern Missouri Hot Air) #001
    • View Profile
Arctic Fox
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »

Whats your opinion of the Arctic fox furnace.  http://www.arcticfoxfurnace.com/     First hand experience?

I'll be heating a 40x80 shop with 17' peak 12' walls. 3 12 ' doors. Insulated.   I will be going to look at the shaver furnace in a few days as they are kinda local. Arctic fox is not. I want to stay with an air to air type due to the simple design and being a shop there may be times its cold and no fire will be built.

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic Fox
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »

I cannot offer any info. on the Arctic Fox but I heat my home with a Shaver 250. I like the simplicity of the Shaver.  I would search this forum for the modifications and do them.  My Shaver also will burn coal but for 5 years I have only burned seasoned red/white oak.  I heat my home of 3400 sq. ft. and fill furnace twice a day.  I can get approx 15 to 18 hr. burn times at 20 degrees.  I hear that the customer service could be a little better though I have not had any problems.  One time I had to order a new grate and within a couple of days I had it to install.  I would recommend the Shaver but there are some other nice owf on the market.   You will get lots of helpful info. in this forum.

gandrimp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »

Well I went and looked at the Shaver.  :o

We then drove to  Earth and looked at one they had sitting outside in use.  :thumbup:

Now I have to see if they'll make it larger.

If they decline I guess I'll join the homemade club, to far to drive to look at an Arctic fox.

gandrimp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »

Just ordered the Earth, its a model 405 minus the water jacket. Might have it by Christmas.

Cec

• OWF Brand: Artic fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

I just purchased one and would not recommend it. The furnace came damaged I sent it back and it came damaged again, they were to credit me some money which I never received. Than after I asked about damaged parts that they were to ship, they told me the furnace was not wired correctly and sent me a hand drawing very poor quality. The wiring is terrible on the unit, I have an electrician trying to figure it out. Stay away

gandrimp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »

Cec, thanks for the heads up and sorry your having troubles. When you get up and running could you report back to us your opinion of the stove itself? I have already ordered an Earth brand but really liked the "online view" of the Arctic fox.  Sometimes customer service can put a fine product out of business.

On another angle of Arctic Fox, the lady I talked to told me one thing and the guy told me another, that bugged me enough that I wasnt purchasing from them til I saw one in person, but none were local ( I was willing to drive ).

Good luck.

Cec

• OWF Brand: Artic fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »

Good choice, there is so many problems with this unit, it's going to take a while to get going. Thinking about having it completely rewired. They used solid instead of stranded not good for vibration.

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »

Hey bud u won't be disappointed with earth, I'm new to this site,and new to the owb world and I love the mountain man 500. Easy to get started and easy to maintain. I average two load sessions a day in the mid 20's temps. But what I like with earth is the 1/2 inch fire box and grate system I also burn coal. It's built like a tank and performs flawless.
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw