Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggestions for new chainsaw  (Read 9875 times)

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for new chainsaw
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 02:23:36 PM »

I would get the 362 your back will thank you later, My 362 is my favorite saw, never had a lick of problems out of it.   :thumbup:
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 09:34:47 PM »

Am now debating between the Stihl MS 362 C-M, or the Husqvarna 562XP.  Pretty much identical when it comes to power, features and price.
I'm going to write out what I consider to be the pros of each, more just to help me figure it out, feel free to give your input if you have any.

The Stihl is a pound lighter than the Husky.
The Stihl has 2 piston rings as opposed to one on the Husky.
The Stihl seems to have more parts availability locally.

The Husky has a faster acceleration and chain speed which cuts a little bit faster.
The Husky has just a teeny bit more power.
The Husky has a primer bulb.
The Husky has an aluminum handle as compared to the plastic handle of the Stihl.
Hudson, WI

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »

Tough choice. But I will say I have a Stihl 291 with a primer and don't use it, don't think it makes a difference.
Aluminum vs plastic, ones colder than the other, neither stand up to getting run over by a tractor. Doh!

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »

Well this was a surprisingly tough decision for me. I've done so much research on these two saws over the past few weeks it's crazy!

I liked the lighter weight of the Stihl, but I like the stronger handle of the Husqy.
I like the higher fuel and oil capacity of the Husqy, but I like the quarter turn caps of the Stihl.
I like the primer bulb for easier starting of the Husqy, but I don't want to have to replace it when the rubber goes bad.
From a long term service issue, (of the very few problems I've heard of from both) I've heard that the Stihl has more "minor" engine problems, but the Husqys have more major engine problems.
I like the two piston rings of the Stihl, (Husqy has one) but I like the more power of the Husqy.

In the end, I had to make a decision, and it was a tough one, but one that I felt wouldn't be a bad decision either way. I feel they are both excellent saws and decided to base my decision on three things that one brand had a slight edge on over the other.
Weight, cost and dealer support. The Stihl had the edge here...
1. It was just over a pound lighter which was very important to me.
2. My local dealer, which has an AWESOME reputation for customer service, is only 4 miles from my house and only carries Stihl.
3. They were having a 10% off deal so I ended up getting it for 674 and change.

I went with the 20" bar and I also got some oil, a spare chain and a new pair of chaps all with 10% off my new purchase.

I think I'm on my 6th tank of gas right now and I love it. I'm very glad I went with the lighter saw as it was one of my highest considerations due to my health.

Because I'm sure that nobody here has ever seen a Stihl chainsaw before, here's a pic of my new toy!
Hudson, WI

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »

Well this was a surprisingly tough decision for me. I've done so much research on these two saws over the past few weeks it's crazy!

I liked the lighter weight of the Stihl, but I like the stronger handle of the Husqy.
I like the higher fuel and oil capacity of the Husqy, but I like the quarter turn caps of the Stihl.
I like the primer bulb for easier starting of the Husqy, but I don't want to have to replace it when the rubber goes bad.
From a long term service issue, (of the very few problems I've heard of from both) I've heard that the Stihl has more "minor" engine problems, but the Husqys have more major engine problems.
I like the two piston rings of the Stihl, (Husqy has one) but I like the more power of the Husqy.

In the end, I had to make a decision, and it was a tough one, but one that I felt wouldn't be a bad decision either way. I feel they are both excellent saws and decided to base my decision on three things that one brand had a slight edge on over the other.
Weight, cost and dealer support. The Stihl had the edge here...
1. It was just over a pound lighter which was very important to me.
2. My local dealer, which has an AWESOME reputation for customer service, is only 4 miles from my house and only carries Stihl.
3. They were having a 10% off deal so I ended up getting it for 674 and change.

I went with the 20" bar and I also got some oil, a spare chain and a new pair of chaps all with 10% off my new purchase.

I think I'm on my 6th tank of gas right now and I love it. I'm very glad I went with the lighter saw as it was one of my highest considerations due to my health.

Because I'm sure that nobody here has ever seen a Stihl chainsaw before, here's a pic of my new toy!

Nice looking saw.  Congratulations! 

I think all I have ever owned are Stihl chainsaws.  I purchased an MS311 a few years ago and it goes through the log pile very well, until you hit a pebble that got stuck in the bark.  My dealer is approximately 20 miles away but always very helpful when I needed it.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 02:13:17 PM »

I have a 362, never had any issues with the handle
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

cbofei

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: empyre
  • OWF Model: 200 xt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »

What did you go with.  I purchased the 391 couple years ago to upgrade the arsenal.  I have been cutting with a hand me down 031av for all my life and decided it was finally time to get a new saw.  Though I like the 391 I don’t feel all that extra weight presents that much more power.  Maybe I should have stepped down to the 291 but actually I still prefer my good old 031

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »

What did you go with.  I purchased the 391 couple years ago to upgrade the arsenal.  I have been cutting with a hand me down 031av for all my life and decided it was finally time to get a new saw.  Though I like the 391 I don’t feel all that extra weight presents that much more power.  Maybe I should have stepped down to the 291 but actually I still prefer my good old 031
Look a few posts above yours.
Stihl 362Cm
Hudson, WI

Elguano

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Bl3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Just got my 462 (had to buy it from Europe) only thing i could say is WOW, same weight as my 290 but power is crazy , eat thoses hardwood 20 inch logs like butter.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:24:42 AM by Elguano »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »

You’ll notice for the next 4-6 tank fulls it only gets stronger
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Elguano

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Bl3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »

So far am on the second tank, and didn't really notice a difference, i wounder since it's the new M-Tronic if I will feel the difference after. I guess it will be time to get rid of the old 290 farmboss :)

Pages: 1 [2]