Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OWB reflections...  (Read 4099 times)

jreimer

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
OWB reflections...
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »

Ok, after many years and several different OWB's, I'm going to say what is on my mind regarding water jacketed wood burning for everyone else to hear and reflect on over a cold one tonight, or before buying an OWB. 

It is what it is, and it is not clean and neat.  Never has been, never will be.  It is not clean like LP, Natural Gas or electricity.  Accept it.  Live with it.  Deal with it.

Some stoves are cleaner and better designed than others, but NONE of them meet the definition and expectation of clean and neat according to the average suburbanite of today.

And that is ok!  The only issue with some people on this forum and definitely with some dealers and manufacturers, is that they are not managing people's expectations correctly.  They ALL gather creosote, drip creosote water occasionally, require a dirty, stinky cleanout routine, smoke sometimes and fail when we depend on them the most.  Just like every other man made creation.

Who is happy when they buy a new car from a dealer and the dealer tells them they will get 40 mpg and then they only get 25 mpg? Nobody.  They will all be mad at their car and dealer.  An experienced driver and dealer knows the car will only get 25 mpg, but a buyer has it in their minds that they should be getting 40 mpg and thus is disappointed and angry.

This goes for maintenance on an OWB as well.  Firebrick, rope gaskets, nozzles, pumps, fan blowers etc. are all wear items!  We need to clearly call a spade a spade and know that they all wear out and need to be replaced just like the tires and oil on your car!

Again, that is ok!  Just be aware of this and manage your expectations!

Water jacketed fireboxes will ALWAYS be dirty and covered in creosote.  This is a fact we cannot escape or pretend it won't exist.  Because we don't understand the laws of physics and chemistry doesn't mean they don't apply to us.  Some weeks my firebox and tubes are cleaner than other weeks.  Why?  I don't exactly know.  I accept the fact that they are dirty and they need to be cleaned.  I sleep well at night, knowing that this is a fact of life, physics and chemistry and that I didn't get screwed by the dealer.

I am happy with my P&M Optimizer 250 and I know it has issues and wear items.  I am also happy with my Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Honda.  They all have their own issues and wear items.  But I have come to accept that.

If you don't believe me or like what I said, I'm ok with that too, safe in the knowledge that either you'll come around to your own understanding some day or forever be angry and frustrated with your stove...

And now if you will excuse me, I need to get in contact with my dealer because it's time to replace some wear items.

And I am ok with that.  Because I know the rest of you will be doing the same...

Feel free to comment below, as I know you will.  :)
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

12valve

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL-3444
    • View Profile
Re: OWB reflections...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:19:48 AM »

I agree..... good post.

randy_1

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »

Very well said ...
Kubota L 3300

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »

Agreed!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »

How about this for a thought; how much time does it take to replace the enegery that you have used.

Wood - Assuming you only cut mature trees 30 maybe 50 years trees and are replaced; but don't ge me wrong must of us are burning dead tress, strom damaged, etc.; stuff that would generally go unused and be left to rot and decompose

Petroleum - First assuming its made from dead dinosaurs (would have to clone and reproduce in a safe environment - so they dont eat us Jurassic Park sytle); then they die and ferment and compressed for what 10,000 years or so. 

...just saying it will be easier to replace trees, than dinosaurs

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »

Maintenance is a concern with everything. Wood burning is a time consuming project but so are other household chores.
 Consider how much time your wife devotes to preparing your meals every day. From reading fliers for sales or coupons, getting in the car, driving to the store or several stores in most cases, time walking the aisles, loading the groceries, driving home, unloading them and putting them away. Planning the meal, preparing the meal, setting the table, cleaning the dishes and on and on. Now add in the cost of a set of kitchen cabinets to store the food, stove, dishwasher etc. Everyday.
 Now consider your dirty clothing, washer, dryer, cloths line, soap, hydro, whatever. The costs and time spent adds up quickly too. Then there is cleaning the whole house.
 Now before you guys jump on me and say you do the cooking, cleaning whatever, I don't do any of that so the time I spent getting wood is a lot less than what she spends do those chores.

plumb bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: CL 5036
  • still green
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »

ATTENTION SITE OWNER(S)

Where is the "like" button?

Great post!

Ched Bull

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »

I am a newbie to this site but l am not a newbie to burning wood! I used to have an air to air wood furnace in my old house but it was a totaly differant animal compared to a water boiler. Great post because I do get it and understand everyone needs to be prepared because it is what it is!
Stihl 261c, Home made 36 inch long 27 ton horazontal log splitter, John Deer 2520, 2004 Chevy Four Door Duramax 70,000 miles, Kirksville Mo.

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »

Couldn't agree more about the
"chore time". People think nothing of spending ten to fifteen minutes every day washing dishes and then think it is  atime commitment for me to throw would in my boiler which takes maybe 5 minutes total including getting suited up
Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »

Great post!  Cantoo, you must have one hell of a wife  :thumbup: lol  although mine helps me gather firewood when I cut.  She runs the splitter while I feed it.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM »

The way I look at it, I have less time in cutting wood than I would having to work to pay the gas bill. Of course this old house needs some more windows replaced and more insulation but I'd rather spend the money that would goto the gas company on those things, so again cutting wood is a better use of my time.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

merrellroofing

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »

Can't do much roofing in the winter. Especially this winter.  I have a 20* rule on the roof, and that's depending on wind and sunshine. Might as well be cutting and loading wood. At least I am getting something accomplished.

ffbare

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

All good posts. I think I'm on to something when I say burning wood is a life style and a way of life. Most of US on here seem to share a lot of the same ideas and thoughts. Great website
Polk wisconsin.   Husky saws, 27ton husky splitter,  gehl skid, tb016 excavator

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »

Although most everyone has some facet of "modern day convenience" they enjoy, I view the whole "outdoor wood-burning guys" as a group of people that gravitate towards being self-sustaining in their lives and activities.  Not completely devoid of the ease of things in the modern world but simply ready to perform a fair level of activities as "I'd-rather-do-it-myselfers." In my studied opinion, this keeps the mind active and produces an environment conducive to thinking in order to solve problems and keep the mind sharp.  All good attributes IMO.  Cheers!   -Slopster  8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:12:32 AM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 04:01:38 AM »

Great discussion - The way I see it, most people would rather take the easy way of doing things.  I also get the feeling most of us on this site grew up on a family farm (small or large) where hard work was rewarded with food on the table, roof over our heads and a warm house in the winter.  I can still hear my parents "hard work never killer anyone".  I thank my parents for the work ethic.  Too bad it took me to realize that fact after they were called home to heaven.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2