Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hand held laser thermometers  (Read 1308 times)

helmick1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Woodsman 400
    • View Profile
Hand held laser thermometers
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »

I have a question for the guys that use the hand held laser thermometer. I used one this evening and my ranco stat showed 171 and the laser reading on the pex coming out of the pump was 159. The return on pex right before the return valve going into the stove was 156. I took several different readings and came up with the same numbers. Could I be losing 13 degrees going through the pump, because that is all that is between the ranco needle and where I took the readings? Or is the laser that inaccurate? The furnace blower wasn't running so the 3 degree difference through the return sounds good. I'll check again in the morning if the blower is running to see what the difference is through the exchanger. I plan on getting the wireless meat thermometers to monitor the temps from inside the house.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
Re: Hand held laser thermometers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »

IR lazer is not very easy for the average user. Every material radiates different. Some guns have an emisivity adjustment for this. Pex will always read lower than copper. Try flatblack or a dull tape. If you can see shiney or reflection so can the IR laz. Strap ons are the most consistent, just a glance at the dial
Michigan Thumber

Homerglide

• OWF Brand: Orlan EKO
  • OWF Model: Out in the shop - Model 25 gasifier
    • View Profile
Re: Hand held laser thermometers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:18:33 PM »

I have two infrared temperature readers (point and shoot). In the beginning they were frustrating to use, due to my ignorance. I was unaware of what they require to be accurate. These devices are finicky about the surfaces they read accurately.

1) Shiney, smooth or light colored surfaces are a no-no

There are simple fixes that will result in very close readings. Flat black paint or a strip of black friction tape will do the job. The friction tape is more accurate by a small margin.

Try either on a section of pipe. Take a shot at your new target and then a shot three inches away on bare pipe, you will see the difference. Comparing with other reading devices (strap-on bi-metal and digital thermistors) I am now comfortable with the results of the infrared devices.
Coupla Chainsaws
Axe
Strong OLD Back
2000 Dodge Cummins