Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hooking up the second thermostat to a electric/heat pump/central air unit  (Read 4987 times)

workman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

We have just purchased a Shaver Furnace and trying to get the second thermostat hooked up. We have a electric furnace - heat pump - central air unit with a multi speed blower. The Shaver manual tells how to do a single speed blower but says to call a HVAC tech for blowers with more then one speed. They won't answer due to not setting up the unit. Please help. Thanks

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile

workman i also have a "heat pump" (in ground water furnace) with a multi stage blower. I just left my in house furnace alone. i cut into the plenum put my rads in and used the thermostat for my OWB to control a zone valve that let water into the rads when it called for heat my house is heated on low speed fan (that runs 24/7) and onlye ever kicks in to second stage if i let the wood go out and the house furnace has to take over. If your blower runs in low speed 24/7 you could hook it up this way?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

workman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Thanks willie for your response, but we have two furnace units hooked to one pump on the owb, so our pump runs 24/7 and keeps the water hot at all times. Pex pipe runs in a series. We need to be able to have the new therm control the blower for the owb, but when the fire goes out, we want our original therm to kick in and kick on our "original" heat system.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile

my pump runs 24/7 as well, my rads in teh furnace are controlled by the zone valve, not my pump, my pump continues to run water to my domestic water and my floor heat. my blower on my stove shuts off via a low water shut off temp (but that never happens) and it also would shut off at high limit setting
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile

Something I recently learned:

For cooling, run the original thermostat as normal with your fan on AUTO.  For heat, run your original thermostat fan setting to ON (so it always runs).  Use the 2nd thermostat to break open or complete the wire from the ON setting of the original thermostat to the fan.  When your fan is set to ON, it is on it's highest speed, so no variable speed to worry about messing with.  The 2nd thermostat controls when the fan actually kicks on by controlling that wire from the 1st thermostat only.  Set the 1st thermostat lower than the 2nd.  The 2nd thermostat will control when your OWB heats or not basically.  The 1st thermostat will only come into play and kick on your heat pump/electric heat when you let your fire go out and the temperature drops in your house down to the 1st thermostat's setting.  It's 2 am.  This is probably incoherent.  Let me know if you need further explanation.

workman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

That's how we had it set up, but it blew the circuit board.  :bash:Do you know which wires need to go from the original thermostat to the new one? Just the fan wire or is there more? Something about the compressor?

And all, thanks for the help. It's getting cold and are trying to put this thing to bed. This is the very last thing that has to be completed.

workman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Also, when we had the blower wire ran to the second thermostat, eventually the fan would not shut off, except by throwing the breaker switch. Turning off at the therm, didnt do it.