Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED with AQUASTAT WIRING  (Read 3556 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
HELP NEEDED with AQUASTAT WIRING
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:51:43 AM »

help needed: wiring for a johnson a419 and ranco the same??????? I previously was using a ranco until the temp sensor failed again and started giving me faulty readings...i have ordered a Johnson A419 which should be here by Wednesday. Is the wiring the same for both units???  i have left my ranco wired hoping that i can use it as a template for the johnson....im no electrician by any means and i dont want to try the thing....THANKS FOR HELPING!

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: HELP NEEDED with AQUASTAT WIRING
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:56:00 AM »

They are pretty much the same, you will need to connect your load side to the normally open terminal and if I remember correctly a jumper will need to be added from the hot line coming in over to the common on the load side of the A 419 as this side is isolated.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:05:15 AM »

thanks slim....i have a jumper wired on the Ranco as well...im hoping I can figure it out without having to call my electrician buddy down the road....i may have to post some pics on here for help. It seems so simple but ive already fried one earlier this year trying to do it on my own....i need to stick to what im good at and that is NOT anything that has to do with circuits!!!!! LOL......on a side note, i had to temporarily put my factory honeywell back on the heatmor.....what a joke....set at 180 (the highest u can set it) with a 5 diff i am getting actual temps of 155-168....so thats the best i can do for now until the johnson comes. Unfortunately i have radiant baseboard heat in the house, so i am really telling the difference in water temp and a bit more on wood consumption as well. The pumps to the zones have been running none stop in single digit weather. I did call heatmor and explained the situation, they are sending me another mechanical honeywell that i can turn up higher that i will have on stand by in case another failure occurs. Great service tho, they have it sent out the same day

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:19:15 AM »

Are you sure that you have good flow inside the boiler?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:24 AM »

yes, im 99% sure...the old ranco was working without a hick up for 2 months....everything was fine until one day i noticed the temp readings on the aquastat were all over the place. 150, 162, 190, 130....huge swings, like it was malfunctioning...so i took the probe out of the well and did a few tests with it (thinking that it was flow or bad thermal contact): I first taped it to the water jacket and still temps were jumping all over, not even close to actual water temperature. I then placed it in a cup of hot water (130F) and still the temp was jumping all over the place. My conclusion is there is a problem with the probe or the unit as a whole. Since having the stock honeywell on for the past few days....it is steady on at 155 and off at 168...no variance at all, so my conclusion is that flow it good...just a bad sensor. Hopefully i am correct!!! im just learning and tried my best to diagnose it...anything else i should look at or try????????????

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 07:26:16 AM »

I’d bet on a faulty controller since it did work fine for months, if you had poor circulation I’d think it would show up sooner especially in the shoulder season.

Not to be flippant, but if it isn’t the Ranco and you get the Honeywell installed, you now have a spare controller. ;)
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:34:42 AM »

well, i have a Johnson A419 ordered that should be here Wednesday. and i have a honeywell coming from Heatmor as well....so ill keep the honeywell as a replacement and im sending the ranco back... I STILL GET A 100% REFUND :)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:36:06 AM »

well, i have a Johnson A419 ordered that should be here Wednesday. and i have a honeywell coming from Heatmor as well....so ill keep the honeywell as a replacement and im sending the ranco back... I STILL GET A 100% REFUND :)

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »

i have never had an issues with Delta temps or the boiler temps, so i am going to assume flow is good, correct???

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »

It looks like the terminal strips are on opposite sides from the Ranco. The terminal labels should be labeled the same so just make you go by that.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 03:49:18 AM »

RSI...thanks!