Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Firestar Controller  (Read 3924 times)

lasasj

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
Firestar Controller
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »

Anyone familiar with the Firestar Controller... ?

More specifically, how does it connect to the computer?  Do I need to bury a CAT-5 cable or something? 

Does anyone know if it's compatible with mac (apple) ?

???

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Firestar Controller
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »

Anyone familiar with the Firestar Controller... ?

More specifically, how does it connect to the computer?  Do I need to bury a CAT-5 cable or something? 

Does anyone know if it's compatible with mac (apple) ?

???

lasasj - First things first; Welcome to the forum.  You'll find a lot of smart people in here who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge with you.  You simply have to ask.

As for the Firestar Controller; I'd say reference your operators manual or call your CB rep for answers.  My guess would be that it does indeed take a cat5 cable for it talk to your computer and that it is compatible with either the PC or Mac but that's just a guess.  I have the older style Firestar controller so I can't monitor it via a computer unless I spend some money to upgrade it.  Unfortunately I'm lacking the funds. 

How long have you had your E-classic 1450? 

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

lasasj

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:01:21 AM »

Thanks Roger,

My unit should be delivered today. I should be able to tell how firestar works once it arrives.  Trench is still open so no worries.  I was surprised that the manuals didn't have anything in them regarding wiring etc of firestar, the brochure had nice pictures but no specs.  Looks like its wifi to some extent but even that requires a data line or card or something. 

I'll post info here once it shows up. Can't wait to hook my new boiler up  ;D

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:19:22 AM »

Thanks Roger,

My unit should be delivered today. I should be able to tell how firestar works once it arrives.  Trench is still open so no worries.  I was surprised that the manuals didn't have anything in them regarding wiring etc of firestar, the brochure had nice pictures but no specs.  Looks like its wifi to some extent but even that requires a data line or card or something. 

I'll post info here once it shows up. Can't wait to hook my new boiler up  ;D

How exciting for you that it is arriving today.  Do you know if it will be hooked up today so you can fire her up and start heating your home?  I guarantee that once you learn what works best for your home heating needs, you will wonder why you waited so long.  Are there plans to heat your domestic hot water (DHW) with it too? 

I'm heating 3000sqft of an 1840's vintage farmhouse and my DHW with the E-Classic 1400; my 3rd year heating with it.  Last year I went through approx. 5 1/2 to 6 cord of wood keeping my home comfortable at 72/73 degrees and endless supply of how water for showers, etc....  I spent a chunk of money on insulation and that makes a huge difference.

Good luck with 1450.  I think you'll enjoy NOT hearing the oil/gas furnace fire up. 

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

sam-tip

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E3200 (2011)
  • Overkill is under rated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:56:37 AM »

It takes four wires to connect the wireless to the Firestar II controller.   Two wires for data to the boiler and two wires to power the wireless box.  A cat5 will work fine.  From there it is wireless.  You must have wireless internet.  The power is just low voltage DC.  I ran mine off a 9 volt battery for about an hour.  A small AC to DC converter is included. 

I put my wireless box in my garage so I get its power there.  Only two wires go to the boiler for data.  I just used a cat 5 direct burial cable to the boiler.  I just use one pair of wires for the data.  From the house to the garage is all done by wireless internet repeater.
E3200
All ported 355T, 346xp, 562xp, 395xp, 3120xp
Silvey pro sharp, 5 year wood supply
Hobby hording oak firewood.
Overkill is under rated!