Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Snow again  (Read 2603 times)

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
Snow again
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:23:19 AM »

Okay this is the third weekend it snowed having trouble getting to my wood pile starting to think I'm in the UP Michigan         and I've  reached my limit on how much more wood I want to burn for 2013/14.         Oh well glad I don't have propane those poor people that do are in trouble

I know what your going to say
quit your crying right
Jack
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:16:27 AM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

uncle Dave

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: 180
  • wood is the only way to get warm!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Snow again
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »

S E Indiana propane is over $5 and they will only deliver 100 gal. In trouble is right, have plenty of wood to finish the season. Neighbors with electric heat are receiving bills in excess of $1000. I believe we are in for a repeat of the mid to late 70,s
Hardy H4, first fire 11/06,  26 ton spliter, Stihl MS290, Stihl 029 17acre hillside wood lot, locust,hickory, ash, maple, deer, coyotes.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 07:33:10 AM »

You can lead a horse to water but if he's to lazy, he still won't drink.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:00:03 AM »

I have plenty of wood to last but because of work schedule and all the snow I haven't been cutting at all this winter. Yesterday I had to repair a water line so I dug/blew a path to my backhoe (quick attach) 100' of 4 to 5' deep snow. Fixed the line then decided I was going to go to the bush. Bush is 1/3 mile behind my house thru the fields and hollows. I had big bucket on and left the backhoe on for weight and extra pulling power if I got stuck. It took me 3 hours to get halfway. Snow was 6' deep in places, also had a layer of 1" thick ice about 1' up from ground. That's why I couldn't use the snow blower, it just wouldn't cut thru it. Finally ran out of time and desire so there was a rotten tree beside the fenceline within reach of my backhoe bucket. I beat that rotten 24"x 12' high chunk to the ground with the hoe and scooped it up with the hoe bucket. Trying to drag it sideways thru 6' drifts meant it broke all to heck and left a path of rotten wood all the way to the owb. I got there, fired up the Artic Stihl 440 and buzzed that sucker up. Put it all in the owb and headed for the house. Productive day. This was my 1st time cutting back there, it was originally my grandparents and my fathers farm, 536 acres, 75 acres of bush, my parents sold it when I was 12.  We live on 10 acres that was severed off it. Last year we asked new owners about cutting wood and he said take whatever you want. So I took the rotten stump, off to a good start. I getting ready to head back again, this time with the blower and forks on, might even take a saw.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »

Okay this is the third weekend it snowed having trouble getting to my wood pile starting to think I'm in the UP Michigan         and I've  reached my limit on how much more wood I want to burn for 2013/14.         Oh well glad I don't have propane those poor people that do are in trouble

I know what your going to say
quit your crying right
Jack

I spent better than four hours the other day plowing a path to the woods, got the plow truck stuck, walked half a mile up to get a tractor, the wife was gone and father wasn't answering his cell.

Used the tracked skid steer to finish the job.

Only thing I can get to is some dead tulip poplar, cut em down and they usually break into three of four shorter logs. Not very good wood at all but better than letting the gas furnace run.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 03:28:37 PM »

Well, I never made it to the bush. Burnt another half tank of fuel blowing snow, got another third of the way but still too far away. I did manage to bring home the broken pieces off the trail though. There's the bush past all that snow. There is a 5' high fence just in front of the tractor. I got to the next hill past those maples. 4' deep with multiple layers of ice stopped me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:31:47 PM by cantoo »