Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: outdoor wood furnace  (Read 3882 times)

coondog1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
outdoor wood furnace
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »

Been looking for a couple of years now love i the idea but every time i get ready to go buy i get cold feet . What made some of u guys make the jump and spend 7 to 8 thousand and some of u more than that .

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: outdoor wood furnace
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »

Spending over $5,000.00 per year for fuel oil convinced me I needed to find an alternative to heating my house and domestic hot-water (DHW).  I took out an home equity line of credit and did some upgrades the my house and purchased and installed the outdoor wood boiler (OWB).  Where you from?  Do you have any particular line of OWB you're interested in?  Oh, before you take the plunge, check with your local zoning laws to see if they are allowed and if you need to purchase the EPA phase II complaint units.  Here in NH you need to be EPA complaint.  Good luck in your search.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »

Having heated mom and dads house with wood and new i wanted to be involved also. Already had splitter and chainsaw. Building an new home and loans are really low interest so I figured why money was cheap I would throw it in the loan and reap the benifets of the boiler from the start. Don't regret  any of it so far.

merrellroofing

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »

I absolutely dreaded the days that I pulled in the driveway and seeing the "little yellow envelope" hanging on my doorknob, that was left by the propane company.  It always seemed I had just sent the check out for the last one. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »

For me, Got rid of the oil man!.. Its sure nice turning the dial up thats on the wall and not worry about the next oil bill…I see that your looking due to this post…One thing I got to say is that you gotta to the work like if you have a wood stove in your house..Other option  is pellet or coal….Yeah 7,8,10k is a lot of money to fork up to buy and install a owb…But it will pay for itself fairly quickly.. I do burn oil in the summer months for hot water..I get a fill up every 2 years
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »

Mainly $2.00/gallon propane, and the prospect of it going higher!

I have a high efficient wood stove in the house but never did like the idea of stoking it up in the morning and leaving all day, so I heated at night w/wood and day w/propane.  With the OWB, I have not bought propane for 2 years (since buying the OWB).

It does take some time in the winter, cutting wood and feeding the stove, but think of it as a winter fitness program and cure for cabin fever!
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:49 AM »

wood nut is right on getting the wood  but a stove is like a relationship you do have to put in some time and work
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

legg28

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:47 AM »

When my monthly propane budget went to 315 dollars a month for a pretty well insulated house and themoatat set on 68 I had enough. I switched my  cooking stove and water heater to electric and now heat my water with OWB also. When we built the house in 2002 my monthly budget was 150 a month which wasnt bad then .Now we set the stat at whatever temp we want which is usually 70 or 71 because its a warm heat. I bought a 120 gallon propane tank for back up heat so i dont have to pay the 150 dollar rental fee each year to keep there propane tank. Amerigas has called 3 times wanting to know if i need propane yet . :thumbup:

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »

The first winter in our house we spent $2000+ on heating oil to keep the house at 65.  At the time we had a 6 month old who spent most of her time in the house inside of a snow suit or several blankets.  That spring I bought our wood boiler and in the fall I installed it.  I also did new duct work, removed the oil furnace, and put in a heat pump with electric backup at the same time.  We keep the house at 74 now and we don't pay the oil company $4+/gallon anymore.  It's nice to walk around the house in a tee shirt and no socks and be plenty comfortable. 

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »

Have had mine for 10 years, there is money to put out ahead of time and work to do each year if that concerns you than don't do it. I should get another 10 years, if you add up 20 years of no heating bills then subtract the initial cost that's where the savings are, it's all in the long haul not the short term. That won't work for everybody but I am not having any regrets about doing it.

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 10:43:29 AM »

$4-5,000 oil bill and recently logger property
North Central Ohio

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:26:04 AM »

I looked at lots of things, the hidden costs of burning oil, Govt. subsidies, sending our young to get the oil, the massive military effort to secure the oil, the enviromental benefits of a renewable 0 carbon fuel, the money savings and I LIKE TO KILL TREES!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »

Over $4000 a year for propane estimated. (previous heat was a corn burner) $5550 for total owb install. Paid for the boiler in less than two years. Like the others stated though, you had better like to work. A boiler is not a lazy man's heater. Like someone else stated you are going to be in a relationship with that boiler, make sure you are serious. Look at kinda like getting a dog, lol. Take care of it and feed it and it WILL treat you good.

stratton

• OWF Brand: D.S. MACHINE
  • OWF Model: D.S.Aqua Gem 3200 INDOOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »

Coondog
Don't think about it…
Just do it. If you read the wood boiler websites you soon see it is the addiction!!!!!!!
fairfield ct - wardsboro vt

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 04:45:45 AM »

Over $4000 a year for propane estimated. (previous heat was a corn burner) $5550 for total owb install. Paid for the boiler in less than two years. Like the others stated though, you had better like to work. A boiler is not a lazy man's heater. Like someone else stated you are going to be in a relationship with that boiler, make sure you are serious. Look at kinda like getting a dog, lol. Take care of it and feed it and it WILL treat you good.

Yah that x2.