Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fuel oil  (Read 1417 times)

Rockarosa

• OWF Brand: Pro-Fab
  • OWF Model: Cozyburn MS 250
    • View Profile
Fuel oil
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »

My elderly neighbors had fuel oil delivered today. They paid $4.09 a gallon. When you figure a cord of locust is equal to 150 - 200 gallons of fuel oil  it makes  me want to cut more wood. My old farmhouse will burn 150 gallons a month with the thermostat at 66 to 68 degrees. Be glad to see this winter end!
New Holland T C 30

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Fuel oil
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »

They got ya by the $&@?!     I talked to a guy last week that was going through $2000 a month to keep the place just from freezing up. Wood pellet shortage, propane shortage, and nobody has dry wood to sell. People are hurting for shure .
Western Maine

Pinehouse4

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34/44
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel oil
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »

They got ya by the $&@?!     I talked to a guy last week that was going through $2000 a month to keep the place just from freezing up. Wood pellet shortage, propane shortage, and nobody has dry wood to sell. People are hurting for shure .

There was an oil crisis back in the eighties, prices skyrocketed and people up here scrambled to use wood stoves. People in the country used the term " firewood rustlers " to describe people that stole firewood. I can remember seeing pick ups creeping along the concession roads looking for a dead tree to cut down along the side of the roads. The poor guys probably didn't have the money to buy wood but needed heat.

I have always regarded my wood pile as security.

Anything can happen, anything can go wrong and you cannot count on immediate government assistance to rush to you in a crisis. I had friends in the city of Toronto without heat for 4 days this winter, no one came rushing to their door.

My family is my responsibility, and I don't count on anyone. I will always have wood ready and a way to burn it. With fire you have heat and a means to cook and melt snow for water if need be.

Once fuel prices have gone way up they never go as far back down. We just get used to it and the shock wears off. Let's see if propane ever does.

They think this way, once they customer has been forced to pay the high price X the will be very happy to pay the lower price Y, even though that is way more than they used to pay. Human nature 101.

Bob
Stihl 028
Stihl 046
Wallenstien 820 wood processor
JD 6300 4 WD loader, blade, blower, forks,
BL 34/44 working great.