Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: extending the chimney on a 165  (Read 3409 times)

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
extending the chimney on a 165
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:29:39 PM »

Hi everyone,been a lurker for a long time and finally decided I needed some advice.I built my 14x22 woodshed over my stove and was wondering if anyone else has ever extended their chimney thru a metal roof.Shaver has an adapter that slides over the stove pipe,Ive made one but was thinking that I would have creasote problems being as it will slide over the pipe now Im thinking I need to go inside the pipe coming out of the stove.does that make sense?In a nut shell will watery creasote run down the outside of my stove if I use an adapter that slips over my stove pipe?Thanks

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
Re: extending the chimney on a 165
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »

I have mine extended and running through a metal roof. I used Shaver's adapter.From there i used Tripple wall Stainless pipe.No creosote problem at all. Works good.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »

Hi Russ, that adapter does it have a inverted cone that slides inside the pipe on the stove?Or is there just a shoulder to stop the adapter from going only so far?I tried sliding a piece of 6" stove pipe over my stack once and within the hr I had running creasote.Seems to me I need to somehow sleave the inside of the stove pipe.I know I can spend 75$ on an adapter but Im a tight wad it doesnt look to difficult.

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 06:52:31 AM »

The adapter has some stops welded in place to only allow it to slide down several inches. I cant remember if i used hi temp silicone or stove pipe cement when i did mine. Just seal it up when you install it and you will be fine.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »

Thank you :thumbup: